The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

4 posters

Straight grain walnut suitability

Moon
    Moon
    Techno Weeny

Lets put a laser on it!!!

Techno WeenyLets put a laser on it!!!

Straight grain walnut suitability Empty Straight grain walnut suitability

Post by Moon Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:15 pm

I would appreciate feedback from those that have used walnut for medieval crossbows. I want to use walnut but I suspect it may not be tough enough for the prod end. Thank you in advance for your thoughts and advice.
    Todd the archer
    Todd the archer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Straight grain walnut suitability Empty Re: Straight grain walnut suitability

Post by Todd the archer Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:33 pm

Hi Moon, still trying to get mine together (can't seem to find time with family and work). While I am no expert, I think any straight grain wood would work. Consider that almost all the load is in compression and how short from prod to nut. You are familiar with traditional bows look at riser of a longbow and the leverage the limbs put on it. Hope this helps.

Todd
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Straight grain walnut suitability Empty walnut?

Post by Geezer Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:48 pm

Yes, walnut will do just fine. Geezer
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Straight grain walnut suitability Empty walnut?

Post by Geezer Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:28 am

Geezer here, adding a bit to my very brief response above. You want the grain in your stock to run more or less from top to bottom, rather than side to side. A 45 degree angle is okay, but straight across may result in cracking along the grain. If you work it right, walnut will do fine.
    Having restated my previous comment, I will continue. Very strong medieval bows ran an iron rivet from top to bottom, a couple of inches behind the prod-socket (sometimes it's two pins, side by side, more commonly one). I do something similar with bow-iron mounted prods, since it's possible to drive the wedges in really tight, resulting in high stress over the narrow area at the front of the keyway (slot that the wedges and keepers fit into) In that case, I insert a 5/16 in. lag-bolt, from bottom, to within about 3/8 inch of the top. (not quite to the bolt-groove) I've never had a socket split on any bow that was reinforced with a lag-bolt. So if you're worried about resilience/strength of a walnut stock, just figure to put in a lag-bolt. You probably won't need it, but what the heck, better safe than sorry on a project you're spending a lot of time on. Geezer.
    Moon
    Moon
    Techno Weeny

Straight grain walnut suitability Empty Thanks

Post by Moon Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:25 am

I'm thinking about epoxying a nut in under the Delrin (or other material) arrow groove insert and using a machine thread bolt from the bottom with it's socket head (with a flat washer) seated deep enough to put a wooden plug over it so the bolt is not visible.

I will be using a fairly straight grain walnut for my first one. I'll try to explain to the supplier the grain direction I'm looking for. I'm thinking that by using a rifle stock blank turned backwards I'll have all the material I need for the medieval Max design. Your thoughts? Thanks again.

Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Straight grain walnut suitability Empty Thanks-Moon

Post by Geezer Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:45 am

Putting a nut under the arrow groove and epoxying it in place shouldn't do any harm, and tightening the bolt up enough to get some compression on the assembly might strengthen things a fair bit. A walnut rifle-stock blank oughta do very nicely. That'll put the tall butt-section at the head, where you'll want to mount your prod, and leave plenty of mass around the lock as well. I say go for it. Geezer.

ps. This is just a crossbow, not a rocket to the stars. Try not to worry too much about minor details, and remember, errors simply lead to ingenious saves, covered by beautiful decorations that you can claim were intentional in the first place. :-)#
    Moon
    Moon
    Techno Weeny

Straight grain walnut suitability Empty I'm smiling

Post by Moon Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:42 am

My problem is that this hunting medieval will be void of decorations so covering things up will be tough Wink

I'm a little concerned hearing about Alchem not responding to calls and emails. I'm going to need 2 175 lb prods, bow irons, wedges, etc. We shall see how it pans out. Thanks
    basileus
    basileus
    Crossbow Building Wiki
    Founder & Curator
    Crossbow Building WikiFounder & Curator

Post by basileus Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:12 am

Moon wrote:I'm going to need 2 175 lb prods, bow irons, wedges, etc. We shall see how it pans out. Thanks
    Responding in case you don't get prods et al from Alchem or somewhere else. Or if you feel like "doing it yourself" Smile... Anyways, making bow irons is pretty simple, even with very simple tools (hacksaw, file, vise, hammer):

• http://users.utu.fi/sjsepp/paja/making_bow_irons/making_bow_irons.html

You can also design and make a prod from a leaf spring relatively easily, if you got an angle grinder:

• http://users.utu.fi/sjsepp/paja/designing_crossbows/designing_crossbows.html
    • http://users.utu.fi/sjsepp/paja/making_a_steel_prod/making_a_pyramid_profile_steel_prod.html

I've used my own bow irons and bows with great success on three different crossbows. The benefit with making your own is that you don't have to be content with what's available commercially. I'd estimate that making a set of bow irons takes 4-8 hours and making the prod about the same.

Samuli
    Moon
    Moon
    Techno Weeny

Post by Moon Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:49 am

but I have too many "irons in the fire" already Very Happy
    basileus
    basileus
    Crossbow Building Wiki
    Founder & Curator

Post by basileus Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:01 am

Geezer wrote:Very strong medieval bows ran an iron rivet from top to bottom, a couple of inches behind the prod-socket (sometimes it's two pins, side by side, more commonly one). I do something similar with bow-iron mounted prods, since it's possible to drive the wedges in really tight, resulting in high stress over the narrow area at the front of the keyway (slot that the wedges and keepers fit into) In that case, I insert a 5/16 in. lag-bolt, from bottom, to within about 3/8 inch of the top. (not quite to the bolt-groove) I've never had a socket split on any bow that was reinforced with a lag-bolt. So if you're worried about resilience/strength of a walnut stock, just figure to put in a lag-bolt. You probably won't need it, but what the heck, better safe than sorry on a project you're spending a lot of time on. Geezer.

I don't think the wood type itself matters much with relatively low-powered crossbows (e.g. ~150 pounds at ~32cm / 13" draw). If you use a very light wood, e.g. most conifers such as pine or fir (SG of ~0.4 - 0.5), then make sure there's plenty of wood between prod and the bow iron wedge slot or the bridle hole. Alternatively you could just make the stock a little wider. I don't think any species of walnut can be considered an especially weak wood, so you should be fine. I've sometimes reinforced the front part of the stock with vertical screws, bolts or round wooden dovels like Geezer, but I don't think that's necessary in most cases.

For example, I've had no issues with my ~300 pounder (@25cm / 10" draw) although there's only 5cm (2") of wood (birch) between the wedge slot and the prod and there are no reinforcements. That crossbow has experienced 10+ accidental dry-fires and has been dismantled ~7 times, so it has really been tested. The angle between the slot and the grain probably makes a difference, though; the slot in that crossbow is canted slightly, so the wedges can't as easily push the two halves of the stock apart and split it. If the grain and the slot are perfectly parallel, then using reinforcements probably makes sense.
    Moon
    Moon
    Techno Weeny

Post by Moon Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:16 pm

What do you do with a 300 lb draw crossbow? :-) I'll probably ultimately settle on 180 lbs but even the 160 that I have now will be sufficient for close range deer hunting.
    basileus
    basileus
    Crossbow Building Wiki
    Founder & Curator

Post by basileus Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:20 am

Moon wrote:What do you do with a 300 lb draw crossbow? :-) I'll probably ultimately settle on 180 lbs but even the 160 that I have now will be sufficient for close range deer hunting.

Well, I shoot with it Smile. That said, I'm way more interested in making crossbows (and other historic projectile weapons) than shooting them. I guess this is analogous to why some people tune their cars endlessly, rather than just use them to get from A to B every day. Also, 300 pounds is not that much: maximum power output (in joules / foot-pounds) is only 50% more than that of my ~150 pound crossbow, the reason being 300 pounder's noticeably shorter draw length. Full stats are available here, if you're interested.

Even the heavy medieval crossbows with ridicuously high draw weights (1500 pounds and so) were not that powerful, as their draw length (and thus energy storage) was severely limited.
    Moon
    Moon
    Techno Weeny

Straight grain walnut suitability Empty What was the most used prod/limb material

Post by Moon Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:53 am

for those monsters?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:54 am