The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

+4
Michael
Pikvogel
Thee Apprentice
Lightly
8 posters

More headway on the fancy walnut Danish bow...

Lightly
    Lightly
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

More headway on the fancy walnut Danish bow... Empty More headway on the fancy walnut Danish bow...

Post by Lightly Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:11 pm

Hi folks!

I have been able to get a bit more done on the Danish bow that I have been working on for a client.

It has been a steep learning curve... learning how to do the inlay he wanted and, the horn lockplates. Wow.

I haven't yet captioned the new photos for the bow, will do that as soon as I can.

The horn lockplates have been.....INTERESTING to make. I think I finally have a technique, which I can describe later. I do rather need to improve some skills, like doing the inlay. Time to take some classes and buy some books, I imagine...
    However, it has been very fun! And, I will go into more detail later.
    I DO welcome suggestions and comments, it all helps..
    You will find the newer photos in the last half of the set.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/swifthoundbows/sets/72157623186044585/

Thanks!

Yours as ever;

Lightly
    Thee Apprentice
    Thee Apprentice
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

More headway on the fancy walnut Danish bow... Empty Re: More headway on the fancy walnut Danish bow...

Post by Thee Apprentice Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:11 am

Would love to see the final pictures of this Danish bow.. I really like this style of bow, thanks for showing!

-Z
    Lightly
    Lightly
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

More headway on the fancy walnut Danish bow... Empty Re: More headway on the fancy walnut Danish bow...

Post by Lightly Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:28 am

You are welcome! There has been no more progress on the walnut bow, the stock is done, and we are waiting on a gaffa lever for it... I will check and see if the latest photos on it show the stock as finished...if not, I'll put up some more photos..
    Thanks for the kind words!

Best;
    Lightly
    Pikvogel
    Pikvogel
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Pikvogel Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:31 pm

Hi,

I'm starting a new project for a crossbow, and i really love you're work.
    Im planning to do the same for the nut socket but i don't really know how to do it.
    Can you explain how did you make the nut fit so slick in the socket?
    I tried to make a hole in te stock just like you did but, my drill is like 3 mm thick, so when i'll drill the horn with that same drill it would have a gap of 3mm between the socket and the nut.
    Can you help me, or show some pictures of the tools you work with?

Thanks
    Lightly
    Lightly
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Lightly Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:13 am

Dear Pikvogel;

I have linked to this in other parts of this site, but, for you! Here it is again...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/swifthoundbows/sets/72157611937565699/

This link is a photo essay of the very first contract bow that I made... it is full of a beginners' mistakes, and much detail... we use a forstner bit to drill the holes for the roller nut, you will see this in the captions of the photos...I hope this helps! Let us know if you have any questions...

Also, I have once again begun forward motion on the fancy Danish bow, photos will follow!

Take care all;

Lightly
    Pikvogel
    Pikvogel
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

More headway on the fancy walnut Danish bow... Empty RE:

Post by Pikvogel Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:20 pm

Hi Lightly,

I think it's to much to ask, but do you have a drawing plan of your danish crossbow?
    I'd like to make the same gaps as you did (above the nut on the top) but i can't figure out how to draw the shape on top( on my crossbow the horn) and on the side, to get it as nice as yours.

I hope it's not to much i'm asking for.

Greets,

Pikvogel
    Lightly
    Lightly
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Lightly Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:15 pm

Pikvogel,

I do not have "plans" as such for that bow... I designed it based on my Masters Danish bows, and on many photos that I found on the web and photos that Geezer took while on holiday across The Pond.

All I can offer is for you to look closely at MY photos, and to search the web for the same.

If you have a very specific question as to measurements, I can probably answer those...

I am but an Apprentice!

All my best;
    Lightly
    Lightly
    Lightly
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

More headway on the fancy walnut Danish bow... Empty FINISHED!

Post by Lightly Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:55 pm

It is the end of an era.. finally the Danish bow will leave the shop, after waiting on the correct prod and gaffa.
    I look at it now, and see that I would do many things differently and perhaps better, I also am a little proud of this bow so early in my apprenticeship.

I have photos. Unfortunately, it is cloudy, I have not the best of camera's, and our "photographer" (Silly Person) is off on a job, how rude!

But, I will be posting them to Flickr soon, once I weed out the fuzzy and icky ones.
    Edit;
    Sun came out, so I think I got a few better ones. We will see...

now to box and ship it and hope it is well loved!

All my best;

Lightly
    Lightly
    Lightly
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Lightly Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:37 am

Ok, folks;

here are the photos of the finished Danish bow. Whew. That was fun!

Take care...

Lightly.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/swifthoundbows/5039478680/in/set-72157623186044585/
    Thee Apprentice
    Thee Apprentice
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Thee Apprentice Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:56 am

Im impressed! Very well done!
    Michael
    Michael
    Techno Weeny

Lets put a laser on it!!!

Techno WeenyLets put a laser on it!!!

More headway on the fancy walnut Danish bow... Empty More headway on the fancy Walnut Danish Bow.

Post by Michael Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:55 am

To Thee Apprentice: Looking/viewing at all those photos I can see the craftsmanship that went into building that project. Clinking on to each set of photos to me was watching my child being born. Fore that crossbow everybody is mine. What a fine piece of work. It was worth the wait! Also can it but a bolt down range and dead on target. Of the many thank yous in the past, especially now the biggest thank you of all, THANK YOU David and Wendy. Mike Very Happy
    Zmeelink
    Zmeelink
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Zmeelink Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:45 pm

Lightly, Great work! How far does the crossbow shoot? What about accuracy?
    Lightly
    Lightly
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Lightly Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:53 pm

Thanks! It IS not too bad a bow, I think... heh!

When we test shot it, it was at short range, so, Mike, who ordered it and has been shooting, or Geezer, who will just KNOW! will be able to answer the 'range' questions.. when we shot it, it was pretty darn accurate.

And, Mike, not sure who this "Wendy" is, (lol!) but I am Geezer's (David's) Apprentice, and did build that bow, in David's shop, with his guidance and advice...

Take care all..

Lightly
    Michael
    Michael
    Techno Weeny

Lets put a laser on it!!!

Techno WeenyLets put a laser on it!!!

More headway on the fancy walnut Danish bow... Empty Fancy Danish crossbow

Post by Michael Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:01 pm

OOPS. I owe you one Geezer. TO many names with no faces and me being bad with names anyways! I was under the impression that Davids apprentice was a female by the name of Wendy? Now I'm sitting at the computer with egg on my face and Jackie my wife is having a good laugh on my dollar. Like I been saying the crossbow is very accurate! I have been at the indoor range two times already, the bolts just sail down range. I have the Parkinsons so I'm not as steady as in my army days. Now with that said; I'll put the bolt real close to the inner circle ( bullseye}. Thats indoor shooting: Outdoors is a whole different ball game! The crossbow that Geezer made for me is still accurate-very accurate. I'll drive an arrow down range and sink it in the trunk of the Oak tree. I believe the pull weight is about 190-200lbs. I'm telling you guys I'll compare the crossbow that was made for me by New World with any other? Quality of craftsmanship and being as accurate, they just go hand-in-hand!.Mike Very Happy
    kiltedcelt
    kiltedcelt
    Tinkerer

If there is a will, there is a way.

TinkererIf there is a will, there  is a way.

Post by kiltedcelt Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:59 pm

Not to hi-jack the thread, but a question for Lightly: Is Geezer doing alright? Haven't seen any comments from him on here in over a week. Although I've been gone for a couple months myself at least. Reason I ask is I sent Geezer a PM as well as a direct email through your website regarding some questions I had about roller nuts and lager blocks. Just wondering if he'd read those and just had yet to get back to me. Thanks, and sorry again for the hi-jack - oh yeah, and my congratulations on completing the bow Lightly - it looks simply AMAZING!
    Lightly
    Lightly
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Lightly Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:37 am

Kiltedcelt,

Geezer is quite alright! We have both been a bit under the weather, and also, Geezer is very busy and preoccupied with a Big Book Project, so I daresay he may have not been on here as often due to both those things.

Take care;

Lightly
    kiltedcelt
    kiltedcelt
    Tinkerer

If there is a will, there is a way.

TinkererIf there is a will, there  is a way.

Post by kiltedcelt Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:22 pm

Lightly,

Thanks for the update. Got an email from Geezer today.

'celt
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:24 pm

Lightly, Geezer,

Great craftsmanship as allways!!! I've been posting links to your projects on forums across the seas as well as just showing it to every single person I meet.

The use of plastic has been a tad bit criticized by the heavy traditionalists and stirrup being combined with the goat's foot and the overall teh shape of the tiller as well, but other than that there was nothing but applause to how unique this piece is and how well polished your skills are becoming. Very Happy

I've been feeling seasons changing myself, so dress well and hope you guys feel better soon. sunny

Best wishes,

Ivo
    Lightly
    Lightly
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Lightly Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:11 pm

Ivo, thank you! I am honored!

And I DO understand why folks might disdain the plastics and stirrups with the goats foot etc...

However what we try to do in our shop is compromise...

We are not Todd, with his fantastic bows, so spot on and lovely, and so correct. We can't afford to be... we sell the client what they want, WITHIN our compromise. We do use delrin, and micarta. If we used only horn and bone and ivory, (which would be wonderful but not practical) many people could not afford our bows.
    I don't really know what the market might be for a very correct piece here.

Me, I want one of Todd's bows big time. We all have someone to look up to!

Take care;

Lightly

jake-owa
    jake-owa
    Workshop Savvy

Did you see my tool collection?

Workshop SavvyDid you see my tool collection?

Post by jake-owa Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:02 am

I may be a newbie but that is the single most beautiful bow I have ever seen. I bet it shoots like a wicked dream.
    Lightly
    Lightly
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Lightly Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:17 pm

Jake;

Thank you! A lot of care went into that bow... I really enjoyed the challenge, and hope to make many more as beautiful. Still learning, so it seems likely that I can only get better. Altho, I should not jinx myself.

Take care;
    Lightly

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:56 pm