The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

5 posters

Creating my first medieval crossbow

William Tell
    William Tell
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Creating my first medieval crossbow - Page 2 Empty Creating my first medieval crossbow

Post by William Tell Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:03 am

First topic message reminder :

Here is my first creation. I tried to keep it as faithful to a medieval reproduction, so please if any one spots something not correct please give a feedback .
    I don't know if i am uploading the pictures right, please help!
    thank you.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f12/14/72/92/15/willia28.jpg
    Creating my first medieval crossbow - Page 2 Willia28

https://i.servimg.com/u/f12/14/72/92/15/willia29.jpg
    Creating my first medieval crossbow - Page 2 Willia29
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Creating my first medieval crossbow - Page 2 Empty inletting lockplates

Post by Geezer Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:25 pm

Inletting lockplates can be a real pain in the butt. I work on the assumption that it's better to do a good job on a simple design than a bad job on an ambitious design. So here's what I do: I make the plate, bend it to shape, then tape it in place. Then I take a Very Sharp, pointed artist's knife (an Xacto blade or scalpel will do) and cut into the stock, following the edge of the inlay precisely. Take your time and do it right. Then use a small chisel to deepen the knife-line, cutting straight down a few millimeters... I recommend using a mallet for fine chisel work rather than your hand... since a mallet struck with light blows is actually easier to control than shoving your entire are around.
    When that's done, I chisel out a bit of wood using the scribed line as a stop.... this is basic chip-carving work, going from a few millimeters inside the cut, toward the periphery. When I have the border defined, I mount a flat router-bit in my moto-tool router and roughly reduce the height of all the stuff inside the scribed line to the required depth. When the area is cleared, I go back with a broad, sharp chisel and smooth down the surface to a consistent depth. Then I put the inlay into the hole and see if it fits. If it doesn't, I start trimming out bits till it does fit. Remember, if you make a mess of it, there's your chance to devise extra decorative bits to cover your mistakes... if it looks good when you finish, it ISN'T a mistake, it's a feature. Geezer
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Creating my first medieval crossbow - Page 2 Empty Re: Creating my first medieval crossbow

Post by Ivo Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:56 am

....Trip driving you nuts eh !! well that's normal my friend....

Just got back from the airport...feel completely drained of energy, but on the good side I did not come back empty handed - I'm now a certified "3D laser scanner and modeling software operator" Very Happy

... by the way what do you think of the last original pictures I've sent?...

To be honest with you I'm not very big on history, I like the crossbows, but I only know what I heard from Mr SAM...If you have something to share or talk about when it comes to Medieval crossbows>>>Mr SAM is your man...he knows much much more that I do about crossbows and their effect on history and has a real passion for this weapon...I really recommend you ask him what he thinks and knows(trust me you will enjoy this) Wink

...I am building my second crossbow. This one is of a modern design.....

Now that is something from my department Very Happy ...modern materials, technologies and techniques, all together a step away from traditional view on crossbows. Looking forward to seeing this build in progress all the way to it's full and flawless completion...Good Luck!

cheers

Geezer,

Thank you for the tips...it almost seems to me I once again hear my art teacher's words when you say "it's not an error - it's a feature" Smile
    William Tell
    William Tell
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Creating my first medieval crossbow - Page 2 Empty Hi there Crossbow lovers!!

Post by William Tell Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:17 pm

Hi Ivo,

Welcome back, How are you? I am well advanced in the construction of my second crossbow. I took some pictures and wish to post them . Can you tell me where can I post them as the show your projects etc is not there anymore. keep well buddy!

blazing

Wiiliam
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Creating my first medieval crossbow - Page 2 Empty Re: Creating my first medieval crossbow

Post by Ivo Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:39 pm

Thank you, I'm doing very well. Very Happy

I was also working on a few things of my own...have a little less time now so I went and bought a benchtop belt sander to make up for the lack of time...got tired of talking and having nothing to show for it so I should be posting the new stuff in a few days as well.

As for posting in the right sections...I did sort of pressure you guys with the whole organized theme, didn't I ? Embarassed.Twisted Evil ....... The forum you want would be "DIY Crossbows" ...I was thinking of a better name for it, so I'm always open for suggestions. Smile

Looking forward to seeing what you've been up to as well as racing to show off my stuff . yeh

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:23 am