The stock is poplar, the trigger oak, the bow itself red oak backed with hickory, or pecan really. Finish is a linseed oil/polyurethane oil finish (This seemed to work well, but I saw a lot of miniscule cracks in the finish on the belly. Any experience?)
The tiller is a little off, and it bends too much near the middle of the bow. I gave it some set near the end of the tillering process, so I can't do much about that. Crysals never mend.
Here is a closer view of the fades. You can see the crysals. The bow still functions, but I don't have any similar bows to compare it to. Probably is somewhat sluggish, but it still packs a fair punch. Note that I used a rift-sawn board instead of a flat-sawn board. I think this happened because I read something Geezer wrote in an all-wood prod thread, saying that in crossbows the grain should run from top to bottom instead of side to side. I probably should have realized then that he could be talking about the stock.
So there we are. Thought I'd share.
Red oak is rather stiff and splitty, so I'd thought this would be my last red oak crossbow. But then yesterday I snagged a bunch or of red oak salvage boards from a faceframe, so I guess I must walk down that road a little longer. The constraints of a low budget.