The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

2 posters

"Post-Apoc" paintball crossbow project

Blue62
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

"Post-Apoc" paintball crossbow project Empty "Post-Apoc" paintball crossbow project

Post by Blue62 Wed May 29, 2013 4:35 pm

Reading through the suggestions on my intro post, I think I've got an idea what I'm aiming for- but because I don't have the experience or tools to really do things 'by the book' as it were, i'm borrowing a page from my best friends projects book. Improvising Wink

I salvaged a broken rib from one of our road signs off the work truck to use as a bow, with a little reinforcement (at this point, thinking epoxy the cracked end and then wrap both in a layer of duct tape and electrical tape) and cutting out the splintered middle section, I can get two serviceable arms to use.

My trade is essentially knots, attaching a bow string will probably be a pair of triple fisherman knots tied with either a heavy gauge clothesline I use for a dozen handy things, or a section of throwing line (rated probably significantly higher than the clothesline- most arborists I know will put on gloves to yank on this stuff when their throw-ball get's stuck)

I don't trust the rib to not split if i put a nail or screw through it, so to attach it to the end of the 2x4 inch plank I'm using as a stock i'm going to section off a couple slabs and pinch the arms between those

.....and that's as far as I've though, either late tomorrow or friday morning, I'll be able to get to a serviceable camera to try and post pictures of parts and what tools I have to deal with.
    kenh
    kenh
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

"Post-Apoc" paintball crossbow project Empty Re: "Post-Apoc" paintball crossbow project

Post by kenh Thu May 30, 2013 6:54 am

Good luck with that. Pics will definitely help us see what you're trying to do...
    Blue62
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

"Post-Apoc" paintball crossbow project Empty Re: "Post-Apoc" paintball crossbow project

Post by Blue62 Fri May 31, 2013 3:15 pm

Pulled it all together with a little help from my brother on the back porch....needs some reworking, I think, definitely overestimated the wood strength, parts of it started splitting on me.

"Post-Apoc" paintball crossbow project DSCN0360_zpsf63e73aa

"Post-Apoc" paintball crossbow project DSCN0363_zpsa5cdb0cb

"Post-Apoc" paintball crossbow project DSCN0364_zps9a6a7f65

"Post-Apoc" paintball crossbow project DSCN0365_zps0c682cc6

"Post-Apoc" paintball crossbow project DSCN0366_zps53ff3e1c

"Post-Apoc" paintball crossbow project DSCN0369_zps853bd243

I didn't think the clothesline was small enough to leave much to tie to, so I left it unstringed for now, till I can get home and cut the throw line down to size

Blue62
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Blue62 Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:41 pm

Got it together, finally. Took the plan down to Red, who's an electro-mechanical guru of sorts without the college courses and within a couple hours we had a functioning bow, trouble shot problems and laid plans for the next version.

We started with a 1x1 inch post, cut down to give us a body 24 inch long by 4 3/8 inch wide with a 1.5 inch gap in the middle. At the end, we cut two blocks from a 2x4 to serve as the mounting plate for the bow arms and mounted an 18 inch barrel made of 3/4 inch PVC pipeto the spacers in the frame. A slot was cut most of the way along the pipe to accommodate the screw drilled into the top of a dowel plug that serves as our driver for the paintball.

Everything was predrilled and screwed together, homemade washers supporting the fiberglass ribs at the front, though the mounting blocks twist when it's drawn. We also incorperated another section of dowel that screws to the front of the main driver, as a way to adjust velocity without having to restring every time based on how long the ball will be under acceleration.

Haven't had a chance to chrono this thing yet, or string it properly, but with a plastic coated wire clothesline we could break half solidified paintballs off the garage door- I didn't want to trust it even with fresh rounds on a live target just yet.

(documented pretty much everything, as soon as Red figure out how to hell to email them to me, will post up)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 10:31 pm