The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

4 posters

Pistol prod on the anvil"

Desert Drifter
    Desert Drifter
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Pistol prod on the anvil" Empty Pistol prod on the anvil"

Post by Desert Drifter Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:53 am

Finally got some cool weather to fire up the forge this morning.  I cut the rough profile of the prod from 3/16" 1075 high carbon steel.  The plan is to forge a gentle taper to the limbs from the center of the prod down to less than 1/8" on the tips.  Hopefully this will give me a 12" prod that will draw between 50 and 70 pounds with a power stroke of around 3 inches or so.

First baptism in the forge: 
     Pistol prod on the anvil" Pisrolprod001_zps453634fc

On the anvil:
     Pistol prod on the anvil" Pisrolprod005_zps8c246faa

Seeing some taper:

Pistol prod on the anvil" Pisrolprod006_zpsb066e64c

Cooling down: 
    Pistol prod on the anvil" Pisrolprod011_zpsed20cf2b

A look of what the final surface finish will look like on the external spring of this lock back folding knife I made:
      Pistol prod on the anvil" Lbknife002_zpsdd2b29d7

Pictures are poor, but I'm still learning how to hold a hammer in one hand, hot steel in the other while snapping a picture with my teeth.

The prod will cool down slowly the rest of the day to anneal.  I'll take some measurements along the limbs to see uniformity and then return to the forging process.

'Drif
    PierreC
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Pistol prod on the anvil" Empty Re: Pistol prod on the anvil"

Post by PierreC Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:34 am

What sort of camera are you using?  It is often possible to rig them to fire from a button on the floor that you step on.  Add a tripod, and you have a very safe setup.

I love that knife, and am looking forward to more stuff on forged prods.   Lately I keep wanting to find some place where the neighbors won't complain about the hammering noise.
    Desert Drifter
    Desert Drifter
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Desert Drifter Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:09 pm

PierreC wrote:What sort of camera are you using?  It is often possible to rig them to fire from a button on the floor that you step on.  Add a tripod, and you have a very safe setup.

I love that knife, and am looking forward to more stuff on forged prods.   Lately I keep wanting to find some place where the neighbors won't complain about the hammering noise.
    PierreC I have a Canon A610.  It has a 1/4 x 20 threaded spot for a tripod and I have camera tripods.  I would have to use the timer and by the time I set the timer, run to the forge, get a hold of my project, grab my hammer and get back to the anvil......I wouldn't get there in time for the picture.

Your concern about making noise and the neighbors.  Blacksmithing can make noise for sure.  Normally its the big things and big heavy hammers that make the loudest noise.  Small things like knives and this prod I use smaller hammers and not so hard blows.  I very seldom ever use steel thicker than 1/4 inch.  Also, if you notice in the second and third pictures you can see a big heavy chain that I wrapped around the waist of my anvil.  This absorbs a huge amount of the ringing and noise.  Old timers use to accomplish the same thing by placing a bag of lead shot over the horn.

Thanks for your comment on the knife.  I thought long and hard about posting that picture.  This is a crossbow forum and not a knife forum and I didn't want to have to go sit in the corner wearing the newbie dunce hat so soon.  When forging, a carbon like scale can be hammered off of the project.  Some folks brush this off.  I don't, I like to hammer it back into the work.  If you look real closely on picture 4 you can see on the surface of the prod tiny pits where this scale was hammered back in.  Also just under the prod in the lower right you can see some of this scale.

When ever the project is cleaned up with an iron brush I will draw file the surface smoothing it up.  It would be too time consuming to remove it all.  But leaving some of the forging marks and these tiny pits, really adds a bit of antiquity to my projects.  You can see it on the surface of the external spring I forged for the knife.

Thanks for your comments.

'Drif
    Desert Drifter
    Desert Drifter
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Desert Drifter Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:22 pm

After a week of work and 3 attempts I finally got a prod that will work.  The first one which was made from 3/16 turn out to be about a 400 pound draw.  So I made one out of 1/8" stock.  It turned out to be over  a 100 pound pull.  The third one made from 3/32nd 1095 seem like it is going work.

It is 12 inches in length, 5/8s inches in width at the center and tapering to 3/8s inch on the tips.  The brace height is 1 3/4 inches and has pull weight of 55 pounds at 5 inches.

Pistol prod on the anvil" Prod3a001_zpsf8a88aeb

String Length is 10 3/4".
     Pistol prod on the anvil" Prod3a002_zps7b29faec

Pistol prod on the anvil" Prod3004_zpsaed2c364

And my makers "Mark"
    Pistol prod on the anvil" Mark007_zps2e4f74cd

Now I can move on to trigger system.

'Drif
    kenh
    kenh
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Post by kenh Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:35 pm

Nice looking work there, Drifter.  Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the rest of the build.  Did you actually string that 100# prod?  If you want some place to discard your fubar, let me know, I've got a pistol prod in the works that could take it!
    Desert Drifter
    Desert Drifter
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Desert Drifter Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:10 pm

kenh wrote:Nice looking work there, Drifter.  Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the rest of the build.  Did you actually string that 100# prod?  If you want some place to discard your fubar, let me know, I've got a pistol prod in the works that could take it!
    Ken I used a short piece of 550 paracord to see what was in the prods.  I then place the center of the prods between a couple piece of pine and snugged up in my vice.  I then put a scale on the paracord and put my back into testing them.  The first one I pegged my scale and barely moved the tips.  The second one I pegged the scale again and moved the tips maybe an inch or so.  This last one the prod stacked at 70 pounds with plenty of limb movement.  I then made a quick string for further testing.  It'll work, but I think I'll try one more time.

The oak stock is salvaged from a pallet.  It is 9/8s thick right now, I think I'll rip it down to about 7/8s for the tiller.

Right now I'm thinking moose antler for the nut and pine tarred hemp for the bridle.

Just learning the ropes right now.  It's great to have a new passion to learn about.

'drif
    Scotty
    Scotty
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Scotty Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:32 pm

Desert Drifter wrote:
    A look of what the final surface finish will look like on the external spring of this lock back folding knife I made:
      Pistol prod on the anvil" Lbknife002_zpsdd2b29d7
    That's a beautiful folder, Drifter.  I've always liked ring lock knives, from Okapi and the Cold Steel Kudu to the nicer stuff from makers like Mongin.  Could you give more detail about how the back spring is riveted/pinned to the stag?  It appears the main pin going through the spring tabs would run into the forwardmost pin going through the top. scratch
    Desert Drifter
    Desert Drifter
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Desert Drifter Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:06 pm

Thanks for you question Scotty.  Hopefully I might be able to answer it for you.  Here is a picture along the back of the knife showing the spring and lock.  On the back of the blade I filed a square peg.  You can see it through the square hole on the spring just to the right of the finger ring.  There are three hand made nails along the back of the spring into the handle.  A pin runs through the wrap around portion of the spring.

Pistol prod on the anvil" Lbfold13

There is one hardened pin through the small square iron bolsters for the blade to pivot on.
    Pistol prod on the anvil" Lbfold16

The spring is stout but the finger ring allows you to comfortably use a lot more lifting power to close the knife than you would some other folder.  There is not many folding knives out there than lock up as tight and as positive as this one.  The antler handle was not fully split and along with the iron bolsters with the pin makes a very solid knife.

The knife is a handful with the blade being 4 1/4 inches in length and overall being 9 3/4 inches.

Pistol prod on the anvil" Lbfold17

Did that answer your question Scotty?

'Drif
    Scotty
    Scotty
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Scotty Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:22 pm

Yes, that clears things up.  Many thanks, 'Drif.  Cool