Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» My first Crossbow Tell me what you think!
by c sitas Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:45 am

» G/Day from Queensland Australia
by Andy. Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:15 am

» Here I go, overthinking again
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:15 am

» What string material is safe for Alchem Steel prods
by c sitas Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:13 am

» what's the best glue
by kenh Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:51 pm

» Finished Crossbow - Thanks to all - here some pic and if anyone wants info let me know happy to help .
by Gnome Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:08 pm

» Advice needed re test rig?
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:55 am

» yew and sinew prod help needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:40 pm

» Ball shooting Crossbows worth the bother
by Seventeen76 Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:59 pm

» Crusader crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:54 pm

» Plans and materials for my first build
by chilihook Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:53 am

» carving on early crossbows
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:32 am

» invisible joints in bone spine-inlay
by Geezer Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:43 pm

» My 2nd crossbow project - german crossbow with cranequin
by MePilot1 Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:44 am

» Getting the best accuracy from a crossbow
by dutchbow Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:45 am

» Pictures of crossbow I have been build
by chaz Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:02 pm

» Sharp bend in the tickler
by Geezer Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:11 pm

» Bolt weight to prod poundage
by Geezer Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:10 pm

» Commecial slingshot crossbow
by chaz Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:20 pm

» The Arbalist Guild - Around the World
by chrisgo Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:18 am

» making my first crossbow string
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:04 pm

» Looking for some help Identifying this crossbow
by Geezer Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:15 am

» Knot to secure nut twine?
by c sitas Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:28 am

» bolt rest advice
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:23 pm

» what depth to Install a Prod and angle
by globalmark Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:19 am

Glad to be here. - Working toward building a completely unreasonable machine

JimKS
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Glad to be here. - Working toward building a completely unreasonable machine

Post by JimKS on Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:13 am

Hello. My name's Jim. 

A week ago I found my seven year-old grandson using a makeshift slingshot to evict the pest metropolis colony outside the cottage. I joined him for a little while. He remarked that if we took our job seriously, we'd be using a crossbow. My inner seven-year old agreed. Although my inner law-abiding citizen wonder whether harassing canada geese with a stick slingshot legally differed from neutralizing canada geese with a medieval weapon. Ultimately, we decided it'd be fun to build one but we'd have to find another way to evict the geese. He and my inner seven-year old also decided that the crossbow needs to be at least as powerful as physics and our abilities allow us to make it. 

Later, my son/his dad volunteered to help.  My son and I only ever repaired things together, we never worked on anything together just for the sake of doing it, so this project will be something special for the three of us. 

I was a carpenter but have experience in fabricating and metal work. My son's a mechanical engineer. So we've got a useful set of skills for this. But neither of us have built anything like this before, and we questioned the viability of our designs. I'm glad I found this site. 

-Jim.
    kenh
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Re: Glad to be here. - Working toward building a completely unreasonable machine

Post by kenh on Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:32 pm

Welcome Jim;  The answers to most of your questions can be reasonably easily found here or in the Crossbow Building Wiki (see link at the right of the page).

The biggest starting question is "What kind of action (also called "lock" or "trigger") do you want?"  The Skane style pin lock is pretty darn simple.  The classic roller nut-and-tickler action isn't "rocket surgery' either.  More complicated "multi-axle" actions step the complexity figure up as much or little as you're willing to go.  

Prods don't have to be metal -- they can be PVC pipe, fiberglass bars, wood, wood-glass composites and other exotic materials.  Look at the prod in my Avatar picture, which draws well over 200# and was made from two pieces of fiberglass chainlink fence tension bar, and cost $7.

Tiller designs range from nearly straight sticks to futuristic fantasies.

Physics and abilities should easily allow you to build a 250-350 pound draw weight bow.

When you've don't some homework reading here in the Crossbow Building Resouces & FAQ, and you've got questions, just ask.  The only dumb questions are the ones you don't get answered.

Current date/time is Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:12 am