The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

4 posters

Older Crossbow Info

Outlaw
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Older Crossbow Info Empty Older Crossbow Info

Post by Outlaw Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:11 am

Hi All,
    Newbie here from Colorado. I am looking at a San Marino Crossbow brand new in the box that was purchased through a Military Base Exchange back in 1980. All I know is it has a wooden stock and a  Black re-curve bow. Label says it's a 150 lb draw, and was made in Italy. It has a foot stirrup and regular sights and no scope. I am going to take a look at it this morning. Any info on this bow would be greatly appreciated. The current owner never took the time to even take it out of the box. Thanks for your response
    c sitas
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Older Crossbow Info Empty Re: Older Crossbow Info

Post by c sitas Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:46 am

Hello Out law  and welcome. Sounds to me like an equal to the old Whamos .If there has never been excessive heat on the prod during storage, you should be good to go. I would sneak up on the  draw a little at a time and be ready for it to let go.I'm saying that just because the thing is as old as I am. eh eh. Always  err on the side of safe.God only gave two  eyes and two hands and they don't grow back.Have fun and let use know how you make out.As I set here, that name is starting to ring a bell.As I remember things , the Italians were just behind the Japanese with black powder guns and bows and that sort of things that were really low priced.
    Outlaw
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Outlaw Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:52 am

I think you just scared me off. I was originally looking at Barnett crossbows and just happened across this one. I really appreciate your quick response.
    Jim
    Gnome
    Gnome
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by Gnome Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:13 am

Jim can you post some photos? I can't find any hits on the internet and I'd like to see exactly what what you have there.
    Gnome
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:05 am

San Marino crossbows were an Italian knockoff of the Barnett Panther.  We used to see lots of them at Pennsic War (big medievalist meet in Pennsylvania, every August) A guy showed up at the meet with a bunch of San Marinos he had bought from a distressed freight sale.  The bows appeared to be sound and shot reasonably well, much like the Barnetts. I haven't seen a San Marino for years... I think they've been more or less replaced by the Chinese knockoffs.  If the piece appears to be in good shape, I say try it out.  If you have doubts about the prod, you should be able to get a replacement either from Barnett or from the guys online who sell the Chinese ones.  So try it out, easy and careful.  If it works okay go have fun.  Geezer.
    Outlaw
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Outlaw Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:50 pm

The seller called me a few minutes ago. I decided to pass on it. I'm sure I want a compound crossbow, not a recurve. I have been looking at reverse and traditional ones, mainly Barnetts. I'm sure some of you guys have your favorites. I'm also not going head over heals on this either. I'm thinking $300-500 bucks tops unless there is a super sale at Bass Pro or wherever. Just looking for the best bang for the buck. I've also looked at the Raptor. Kinda front heavy. I do like the Reverses. I looked at the Barnett BC Reverse. Some of their reviews leave something to be desired, but the weight toward the rear is a big plus for me. Anyone out there own one or have any good feedback? ???
    Outlaw
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Outlaw Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:17 pm

Hi guys,
    I wound up getting an SA Empire Beowulf. It was brand new. Guy had come on hard times and had to head to Missouri for a job offer and needed the money for the trip. It is spotless. I didn't try to dog him down on the price. Even had Missouri plates on his truck and every freaking thing he owned in the back. Gave him $400 for it. Came with a Red Hot bag, two cocking cranks, cocking rope, quiver, and 8 new carbon 20 and 22"bolts. I figure 360 fps is good enough for any purpose I would have in mind. i couldn't find a single bad review on that bow anywhere. Any thoughts from you guys?  ???
    c sitas
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by c sitas Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:12 am

I 'd like to urge a word of caution for you and your new bow. Being a new shooter be very aware of yourself and your machine. By that I mean ,don't be come distracted and make a mistake. Your bow will not stand it. I am referring to the ultimate dry fire. We've probbally all done it,but being new to the game makes the chance much higher. You don't have to ask me how I know this.
    Outlaw
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Outlaw Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:31 am

LOL nooo Thanks friend. I am in my sixties and will admit I have made my share of stupid moves with bows as well as firearms. bom I have dry fired a crossbow before; albeit a much smaller/much lighter draw bow. I intend to do a lot of (empty) practice with this bow. Even holding it for the first time yesterday, I was quite intimidated. Fortunately for me, this bow has the anti-dry fire mechanism installed. Not to say it can't be overridden or bypassed. I'm sure if it can be done I'll figure out a stupid way to do it. I shall toy with this weapon a lot before a bolt is ever laid upon it. I truly appreciate the advice.
    c sitas
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by c sitas Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:18 pm

Ya ,been around a while myself at 72. Double check how your anti dry fire works. I don't what manufactuers but some are a bundle to let down after they are used. What I mean is ,what is the procedure to recoup.I've used the compounds and I'll stick to the recurves. I have a small set up for local people and by and large I work on a lot less recurves cause you can almost do all your own repair.Not so with the wheelies.
    Outlaw
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Outlaw Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:10 pm

Yeah, believe me, if it comes to repairs to anything involving string or wheelies it will go to someone way more qualified than I.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:35 pm