The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

+2
c sitas
jaeger22
6 posters

CNC Chinese (improved) Trigger and How To Video.

jaeger22
    Workshop Savvy

Did you see my tool collection?

Workshop SavvyDid you see my tool collection?

CNC Chinese (improved) Trigger and How To Video. Empty CNC Chinese (improved) Trigger and How To Video.

Post by jaeger22 Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:12 pm

Well it looks like the guys at the machine shop finally got some of the Improved Chinese triggers I designed made and on Ebay. The price is a bit higher than I was hoping for but I think it ended up being more labor than I had assumed. If interested, you can find them here:
    Improved Chinese Trigger

Or search for DIY crossbow trigger. It is shown as parts but should come all assembled with spring.

Also I have been working on a How To video explaining how to build one of my cheap & easy crossbows. It will be in 4 parts. Intro & triggers, Making the bow, making the stock, and furniture (sight, stirrup, arrow clip, trigger guard).  It is not intended to be a "follow these exact steps" type, but more of a general guide with different approach. It is designed primarily to help new builders and part 1 is posted on YouTube now at:

YouTube DIY Crossbow Part 1

The worst part is the ugly old guy talking too much.  Embarassed   But I hope some of information will be useful. Any feed back from you experienced guys would be appreciated.
    John
    c sitas
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

CNC Chinese (improved) Trigger and How To Video. Empty Re: CNC Chinese (improved) Trigger and How To Video.

Post by c sitas Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:01 pm

Jaeger22, how do you recommend  anchoring the trigger in the stock?
    jaeger22
    Workshop Savvy

CNC Chinese (improved) Trigger and How To Video. Empty Re: CNC Chinese (improved) Trigger and How To Video.

Post by jaeger22 Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:23 pm

sitas wrote:Jaeger22, how do you recommend  anchoring the trigger in the stock?

There two pins that pass through the stock and the two holes in the trigger case. They hold the case in place and are also the axles for the rotating parts. On the original Chinese they were the same size and looked to be about 5/16". These are 5/16" in the back but I reduced the front to 1/4" to get a tad more fletch clearance. Also it has a lot less load so it doesn't weaken it any.
    I have installed them with just the plain pins cut to be flush with the stock, and also with nuts and bolts. If you use bolts, just make sure there are no threads on the bearing surface. Especially the rear claw. If the bolt head and nut stick out too far they can interfere with the rope spanner if one is used.  So I made some with nuts and bolts that I ground down to be very thin.
    When I get video part 3 (stock) posted, you can see how I got it installed in the stock.
    Let me know if I did not make any of this clear. I can take some pictures.
    John
    Gnome
    Gnome
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by Gnome Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:46 am

Hey Jaeger! I"ve been out of the mix for a while, great to see your design on the market. Looks very nice. I notice the production version doesn't include the backplate with trigger return spring. Was that omitted to simplify manufacturing or did you determine it wasn't necessary?
    I just got started last week cutting wood to mount the prototype unit you were kind enough to send, and I'm already trying to decide how many of the retail units to buy.
    Gnome
    Gnome
    Gnome
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by Gnome Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:49 am

"It is shown as parts but should come all assembled with spring."

Sorry, just re-read your initial post AFTER my first cup of coffee. So the photos on eBay are not entirely accurate, and the assembly does include backplate and spring?
    Gnome

Last edited by Gnome on Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : quote)
    jaeger22
    Workshop Savvy

Post by jaeger22 Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:09 am

Yes, that is what they are telling me. They just took the pictures before adding them. Neutral 
    I will stay in touch with them to make sure they do.
    septua
    septua
    Tinkerer

If there is a will, there is a way.

TinkererIf there is a will, there  is a way.

Post by septua Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:45 pm

Jaeger

Please post a profile of the trigger itself so as  to better view the actual latching area.
    jaeger22
    Workshop Savvy

Post by jaeger22 Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:27 pm

CNC Chinese (improved) Trigger and How To Video. P1020420_zpsmnjhxxviseptua, not sure exactly what you are looking for but this shows the trigger parts in one of my prototypes. Let me know if it is not what you wanted.
    John
    Gnome
    Gnome
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by Gnome Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:44 pm

John, I had a chance to check out the YouTube video- not bad! The purists will probably call you out on your explanation of the medieval type lock mechanism, mainly because what you are demonstrating isn't really a medieval nut lock, but a modern hybrid with axle and trigger. I would recommend using a longer tool than the probe you used to stand in for the string in demonstrating the various trigger lock functions, as your hand was usually in the way. But, solid work, despite my nit picks.
    Gnome
    jaeger22
    Workshop Savvy

Post by jaeger22 Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:16 pm

I just uploaded part 2 of my How to video. This one covers the bow made from fence tensioning bar.

DIY Crossbow part 2 - Bow
    Andy.
    Workshop Savvy

Post by Andy. Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:34 pm

Great video jaeger, thanks!

Is the 17" distance measured from the rear face of the Barnett prod to lock, the same as per the Panzer factory spec?
    jaeger22
    Workshop Savvy

Post by jaeger22 Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:07 am

Andy wrote:Is the 17" distance measured from the rear face of the Barnett prod to lock, the same as per the Panzer factory spec?
    Yes that is the way I measured it. I really like the Barnett prod. It cost more than my homemade but shoots faster and is a lot narrower. 

gnome wrote:The purists will probably call you out on your explanation of the medieval type lock mechanism, mainly because what you are demonstrating isn't really a medieval nut lock, but a modern hybrid with axle and trigger.

Thanks for the feed back Gnome.
    Yes you are absolutely correct. I thought about that when I watched it but was just too lazy to do it all over again. That was take 5. . . .
    Every time I did it I found something wrong, like getting in the way,  but at some point I had to just let it go. Embarassed  Guess I better not plan on being an actor! LOL
    c sitas
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by c sitas Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:08 pm

Jeager ; Great job on the video. Good job explaining things . I'm thinking even some tool challenged people can benifit from this . Concize and clear. I know I'll be doing one. Thanks again.
    septua
    septua
    Tinkerer

If there is a will, there is a way.

TinkererIf there is a will, there  is a way.

Post by septua Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:56 pm

jaeger
    The latest ebay images show very clearly the latch area and tell me the latch will be crisp and short-thank you.

tom

Last edited by septua on Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
    jaeger22
    Workshop Savvy

CNC Chinese (improved) Trigger and How To Video. Empty Video Part 3 - stock

Post by jaeger22 Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:47 am

Just posted the next video about how I made the stock. Had to cut out a lot. Just TOO long. Crying or Very sad 

DIY Xbow Part 3 - Stock
    jaeger22
    Workshop Savvy

Post by jaeger22 Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:26 pm

Just posted the 4th and probably last video in my little "how to build a crossbow " YouTube series. Although I may add one on a simple string making jig. This one is part 4 and covers making a PVC trigger guard, and arrow hold down as well as the stirrup and front sight from Aluminum. If interested you can see it here:

How to Make a DYI crossbow Part 4
    Crossbowmen
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Post by Crossbowmen Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:10 pm

I have probably red all your treads and watched al parts of your crossbow.  study
    I was looking for a new project and I found one cheers 
    Are you ok with me stealing about everything of your build. I could make a thread about it if someone is interested in the trail and error I encounter. Today I found some old wood that seem pretty clean and not to hard to handel, just fine for mark one. I like your chinese trigger so im testing one in wood. Bought some battens for the bow. Love your work and the site keep it up cheers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:45 am