The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

3 posters

Whamo showed up, prod replacement ideas

Archer46176
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Whamo showed up, prod replacement ideas Empty Whamo showed up, prod replacement ideas

Post by Archer46176 Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:28 pm

Well the Whamo Powermaster showed up and it is in VERY good condition there is NO rust anywhere like I saw on most of the ones for sale, it has all of the parts, a few arrows/bolts/quarrels, the original pouch style quiver and the string looks nearly brand new even though it is obviously the original or an original replacement from the 70s. The aluminum alloy prod DOES look a little "wonky" and when lined up with the marks then tightened down it looks like the left side limb is stiffer than the right. I measured from each side and got it as exact as I could with a 1/16th" ruler.

I had planned on replacing the prod when I bought it and I have been on alchem finding that the ones suggested for it and the Barnett Wildcat are pretty much identical except for the poundage. I don't mind buying one but this was to be an experiment in homebuilding everything. I have thought about buying BRAND NEW leaf springs from the local farm supply stores, I thought about wooden prods but they are far too bulky for the Whamo or Barnett Wildcat style bow I would need to redesign the way of attaching it, I am also thinking about modifying one of my recuver bow limb presses to make some laminated limbs from regular bow making laminations. I would also like to try laying up laminations of "found" fiberglass and epoxy like the stuff you can get off the local store shelf for repairing auto body panels and boats. They have the fiberglass wooven cloth and then they have a "matt" style that has the fibers running every which way and kind of loose. Has anyone tried to make a fiberglass prod ???
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Whamo showed up, prod replacement ideas Empty Re: Whamo showed up, prod replacement ideas

Post by Geezer Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:57 pm

I think you will find Barnett prods and most of the styles offered by Alchem or Slobows are too short for a Powermaster stock.  You Could cut a new slot in the stock, and refit a short prod closer to the lock.  But Alchem/Slobows used to offer a steel prod specifically made as a replacement for Powermasters.  Alchem and Barnett prods are all approximately 28 inches long.  What you need is a prod approx. 31 inches long. 
    Years ago, I cut an asymmetric aluminum alloy prod from 7075-T6 stock 3/16 in. thick, to fit into a customer's old Powermaster.  Essentially I just copied a dead Powermaster prod, same width and thickness, but give it a bit of 'V' shape to decrease down-pressure on the top of the stock.  It worked out quite well.  And no, I'm not interested in doing it again.  Still it was easily enough accomplished... cut out with a metal cutting blade on a standard 14 inch bandsaw... I took it slow and lubricated a lot with silicone spray.  Then sanded the sawcuts smooth, eased the sharp edges a bit, cut nocks and recurved the ends with a simple cam-bender.  Total time to make no more than an hour.  So that might be worth trying.  Geezer.
    Archer46176
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Whamo showed up, prod replacement ideas Empty Re: Whamo showed up, prod replacement ideas

Post by Archer46176 Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:10 pm

The charts on Alchem show their powermaster prods as being 34" with a draw stroke of 14.75" and the Barnetts being 31.25" with a draw stroke of 13.5" I would need to do the math and see what the stress would be from that difference in draw length of .75" but I cannot imagine it being that much difference. I am really not looking to buy a prod which is why my ending question was if anyone had laminated any of their own fiberglass prods. I am not terribly sure that the fiberglass cloth would work even with the flexible epoxy I use for laminating my line of custom recurves and longbows. I have thought about using several layers of a wooden core and laminating it between clear glass much as I do a recurve or longbow.
    kenh
    kenh
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Post by kenh Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:25 pm

Archer -- you can certainly make a wood-glass laminated prod; you just don't need much (if any) riser.  Exactly like making a very short bendy-handle flatbow.  

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:48 am