» aluminum prod
by Phil Abrahams Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:38 am

» First whitetail buck taken with medieval crossbow
by Phil Abrahams Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:38 am

» Airsoft Crossbow
by JacobL Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:11 pm

» Questions about steel prod specs
by JacobL Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:25 pm

» Faking a medieval composite crossbow prod.
by JacobL Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:13 pm

» Airsoft Bow
by JacobL Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:56 pm

» Hello All!
by JacobL Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:54 pm

» Padre Island Bow
by Geezer Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:14 pm

Whamo showed up, prod replacement ideas

Archer46176
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Whamo showed up, prod replacement ideas

Post by Archer46176 on Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:28 pm

Well the Whamo Powermaster showed up and it is in VERY good condition there is NO rust anywhere like I saw on most of the ones for sale, it has all of the parts, a few arrows/bolts/quarrels, the original pouch style quiver and the string looks nearly brand new even though it is obviously the original or an original replacement from the 70s. The aluminum alloy prod DOES look a little "wonky" and when lined up with the marks then tightened down it looks like the left side limb is stiffer than the right. I measured from each side and got it as exact as I could with a 1/16th" ruler.

I had planned on replacing the prod when I bought it and I have been on alchem finding that the ones suggested for it and the Barnett Wildcat are pretty much identical except for the poundage. I don't mind buying one but this was to be an experiment in homebuilding everything. I have thought about buying BRAND NEW leaf springs from the local farm supply stores, I thought about wooden prods but they are far too bulky for the Whamo or Barnett Wildcat style bow I would need to redesign the way of attaching it, I am also thinking about modifying one of my recuver bow limb presses to make some laminated limbs from regular bow making laminations. I would also like to try laying up laminations of "found" fiberglass and epoxy like the stuff you can get off the local store shelf for repairing auto body panels and boats. They have the fiberglass wooven cloth and then they have a "matt" style that has the fibers running every which way and kind of loose. Has anyone tried to make a fiberglass prod ???
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Re: Whamo showed up, prod replacement ideas

Post by Geezer on Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:57 pm

I think you will find Barnett prods and most of the styles offered by Alchem or Slobows are too short for a Powermaster stock.  You Could cut a new slot in the stock, and refit a short prod closer to the lock.  But Alchem/Slobows used to offer a steel prod specifically made as a replacement for Powermasters.  Alchem and Barnett prods are all approximately 28 inches long.  What you need is a prod approx. 31 inches long. 
    Years ago, I cut an asymmetric aluminum alloy prod from 7075-T6 stock 3/16 in. thick, to fit into a customer's old Powermaster.  Essentially I just copied a dead Powermaster prod, same width and thickness, but give it a bit of 'V' shape to decrease down-pressure on the top of the stock.  It worked out quite well.  And no, I'm not interested in doing it again.  Still it was easily enough accomplished... cut out with a metal cutting blade on a standard 14 inch bandsaw... I took it slow and lubricated a lot with silicone spray.  Then sanded the sawcuts smooth, eased the sharp edges a bit, cut nocks and recurved the ends with a simple cam-bender.  Total time to make no more than an hour.  So that might be worth trying.  Geezer.

Archer46176
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Post by Archer46176 on Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:10 pm

The charts on Alchem show their powermaster prods as being 34" with a draw stroke of 14.75" and the Barnetts being 31.25" with a draw stroke of 13.5" I would need to do the math and see what the stress would be from that difference in draw length of .75" but I cannot imagine it being that much difference. I am really not looking to buy a prod which is why my ending question was if anyone had laminated any of their own fiberglass prods. I am not terribly sure that the fiberglass cloth would work even with the flexible epoxy I use for laminating my line of custom recurves and longbows. I have thought about using several layers of a wooden core and laminating it between clear glass much as I do a recurve or longbow.
    kenh
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Post by kenh on Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:25 pm

Archer -- you can certainly make a wood-glass laminated prod; you just don't need much (if any) riser.  Exactly like making a very short bendy-handle flatbow.  

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:15 am