The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

5 posters

How close to original would you go

stuckinthemud1
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

How close to original would you go Empty How close to original would you go

Post by stuckinthemud1 Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:22 pm

Right, I'll confess, I am a sinister man. I'm left handed. Medieval bows are right handed, I think they are all right handed but could be wrong in that. If I carve a lefty stock in making a close/exact 15th century replica, is this one adjustment too far?
    kenh
    kenh
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

How close to original would you go Empty Re: How close to original would you go

Post by kenh Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:53 pm

Medieval prods are not "handed".    Even into the 16th century, they're pretty much a straight stick with varying profiles -- no offset to one side or the other.  Back then handed-ness just wasn't a thing people designed for when making objects - crossbows or shoes or ....
    stuckinthemud1
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by stuckinthemud1 Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:15 pm

Maybe it was just the high-end crossbows then as, for example, the Mathias Corvinus crossbow seems to have a slightly asymmetrically carved fore-grip with offset 'trigger' mechanism, while the Ulrich bow has a quite pronounced asymmetry to the stock, including a slight 'cheek' and an asymmetry to the fore-grip effectively creating a swell-and-hollow form.  So, sweeping generalisations aside, a straight stock would be the norm, but how wrong would it be to carve a slightly left-handed stock? Is there any precedent?
    stuckinthemud1
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by stuckinthemud1 Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:58 pm

How close to original would you go AttachmentI first thought this was a lefty but actually the image might have been flipped but it does show that high-end stocks were sometimes 'handed' - the image below is the other way round (I think) 

How close to original would you go Attachment
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:20 am

Yes, generally speaking, most medieval crossbows are straight (if tapered) sticks, and not built for either hand.  But high-end bows were made for individuals whose tastes differed.  Starting in the 15th century, there are lots of bows with a slight cheek asymmetry for the preferred hand (usually left side for right-handed shooters) I can't recall seeing any bows specifically made for left handers, but I don't think it does any harm to make a few that way.   I've seen at least one bow (maybe 16th century) that had a very asymmetric stock, with the tiller-end offset quite dramatically.  I'll look thru my old snapshots to see if I can find provenance.  Geezer.
    OrienM
    OrienM
    Workshop Savvy

Did you see my tool collection?

Workshop SavvyDid you see my tool collection?

Post by OrienM Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:42 am

I made my last tiller asymmetrical on purpose...I was having sight picture issues with a straight tiller (shooting to the right, or having to cock my head awkwardly to line up with the bolt). The asymmetrical tiller automatically places my dominant (right) eye exactly over the bolt, a big improvement for quick, accurate shooting. I'm confident the old-timers did it for the same reason.
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:44 am

No doubt you are right.  Bows made for individuals could be, and were made for individual tastes. Geezer.
    OrienM
    OrienM
    Workshop Savvy

Did you see my tool collection?

Workshop SavvyDid you see my tool collection?

Post by OrienM Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:29 am

I noticed quite a few original tillers with this sort of asymmetry, once I was looking for that detail. The pics above are a nice example. It makes sense to me; when you are making something for an individual user, you may as well make it fit comfortably... Cool

I have also encountered a few photos of some VERY asymetrical tillers, like 3-4" off-center...made for a right eyed, left handed shooter, perhaps?
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:30 am

Yup: somewhere in my photo collection I've got a few shots of a Very Offset (to the right, for a right-handed shooter) crossbow tiller in a European museum.. the butt makes a very pronounced jog, a couple of inches right, then straightens out again. Presumably the shooter could easily get his eye right in line with the groove.  It's around here somewhere.... Geezer.
    jamesjohnson
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Post by jamesjohnson Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:36 am

kenh wrote:Medieval prods are not "handed".    Even into the 16th century, they're pretty much a straight stick with varying profiles -- no offset to one side or the other.  Back then handed-ness just wasn't a thing people designed for when making objects - crossbows or shoes or ....
    Indeed, as a rule, most medieval crossbows are straight sticks, and not worked for either hand. In any case, top of the line bows were made for people whose tastes varied. Beginning in the fifteenth century, there are bunches of bows with a slight cheek asymmetry for the favored hand (typically left side for right-gave shooters) I can't review seeing any bows particularly made for left handers, however I don't figure it does any damage to make a couple of that way.
    I have a mini crossbow that's pretty good. I bought it for hunting practice.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:08 am