The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

+8
JoergS
JacobL
phuphuphnik
stuckinthemud1
septua
dutchbow
Geezer
kenh
12 posters

Ball shooting Crossbows worth the bother

topfmine
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Ball shooting Crossbows worth the bother - Page 2 Empty Ball shooting Crossbows worth the bother

Post by topfmine Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:17 am

First topic message reminder :

Been looking at ball shooting crossbows to see if they have the potential for accuracy compared to using a bolt/arrow. Also the life of the limbs/ prod firing a light ball, lighter than a bolt/arrow that it was designed for. Seen some reasonably priced cheap end ball/arrow shooting crossbows just to give it a go and to see if i could make one, but not worth the effort if these are just a fad or gimmick. what do you guys think and has anyone used or own one, can't seem to see any reviews on the web. https://www.surplusstore.co.uk/armex-hawk-of-the-forest-ii-recurve-crossbow.html
    See here as an example. Thought shooting a ball would benefit in not loosing arrows or bolts. Also would lead be better than steel ball especially bearing in mind the ricochet factor.
    topfmine
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Ball shooting Crossbows worth the bother - Page 2 Empty Re: Ball shooting Crossbows worth the bother

Post by topfmine Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:50 pm

I was very surprised how hard it hits with 44 cal lead balls with the 50ib prod. I tried 9mm lead balls and they seemed to fly much harder and flatter out to about 100 meters without a proper guide which i am making for a dedicated size 8 or 9mm.
    JacobL
    JacobL
    Tinkerer

If there is a will, there is a way.

TinkererIf there is a will, there  is a way.

Ball shooting Crossbows worth the bother - Page 2 Empty Re: Ball shooting Crossbows worth the bother

Post by JacobL Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:19 pm

What setup are you shooting with? Is it a slot with a shuttle to shoot the ball?

50 pounds is good enough should you have a good bow. I recently made a bullet crossbow with a 60 pound prod and it works just fine.
    topfmine
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by topfmine Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:49 am

I just wanted to experiment and make a small compact crossbow, so i robbed a prod and string from a cheap chinese crossbow pistol with a metal prod which is a pressed steel type. The whole construction going the modern looking way was made from 20mm square metal tubing brazed together to form a stock with the tiller made from 16mm thick tubing slotted for the bow string to slide up and down which fits perfectly into the 20mm stock held in with a butterfly screw for quick take down. The prod had to be canted at an angle to allow the string to sit centre of the tiller slot. The release mechanism is a simple quick release catch clamp or toggle clamp used to hold down work pieces. I used this as a release for a slingshot rifle i made, its very strong and i have added a return spring on it for better release and to hold the clamp in place when the bow is cocked, works perfect. The whole look of the ball shooting crossbow is very simplistic and modern in looks. Al i have to do is make a insert for the middle of the 16mm tube so a matched ball can run true down the middle. At the moment it shoots quite straight and narrow with a lose fit down the square tube but would be much improved with a new made liner.The sights  which are adjustable are constructed from the steel tubing by cutting shaping and forming. One i have perfected it by sorting the ball to fit liner i will blast clean it, phosphate the steel work and black wrinkle paint the steel frame work.
    JacobL
    JacobL
    Tinkerer

If there is a will, there is a way.

TinkererIf there is a will, there  is a way.

Post by JacobL Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:59 pm

Sounds really nifty, would love to hear more about it as you make it, keep me updated. The 16mm tube serves as the barrel, right?
    topfmine
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by topfmine Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:25 am

Yes it serves as a barrel which is 12.5mm id. It can fire bolts which i have made without fletchers and made a jig which cuts out 4 evenly spaced flutes at the back of the bolt about 3 inches as a fletchless bolt, you can have three flutes if you want made from 12mm dowel with a flat head made from studding connectors which are smooth rather than nut shape about a inch long just machine the dowel down so the connector thread takes a bite into the shaft to screw on. The barrel tube when its made will accept a metal liner which is slotted and bored at 8.2mm to take ball or it could take a 8mm fletcht bolt.
    Seventeen76
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Seventeen76 Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:59 pm

Regarding "lead pollution" with lead projectiles the problem is grossly exaggerated and is really only applicable to fine lead shot that falls in shallow water where waterfowl can find it easily. Ducks ingest the shot believing it is shiny stones then hold it in their gizzard and grind it together with real stones to process foods such as seeds and grains that are processed by the gizzard prior to final digestion.

Not really an issue unless there are incredible amounts of fine shot being dropped into a clear body of water frequented by ducks and geese. Lobbing individual lead balls around on dry land has no effect on anything unless you have small children running around eating them.
    topfmine
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by topfmine Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:24 pm

Bit of a update. I decided to use a round plastic carrier to push the ball out that fits in the square of the tube body. The carrier has two holes in it at right angle to each other, one hole at the back to engage with the trigger and the other hole for the string, at the front i bored a slight hole about 9mm x 6 mm deep for a 8mm lead or any projectile .44 or 9mm to sit. When the crossbow is cocked the carrier sits in front of a curved wire spring that holds any ball size in the carrier, the curve of the spring rides up when cocking and ride up out the way when firing. Upon firing the inertia hold the ball centre in the carrier, so accuracy is consistent, no need for the projectile to rely on the tubing body of the crossbow only the carrier. Crossbow fires very well very pleased with results, the balls need to be made consistent  ie all same size and weight for accuracy. Shame i cant down load pictures quite simple to make.
    c sitas
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Post by c sitas Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:34 pm

Gezzer , on this site relates a bad experiecne with the ball crossbow. His was of original  design, and some how it back fired. From what I remember it was kinda common . The originals all shot a dubble string and some how would hold the ball and fire it out on the rebound of the string. A little un nerving to say the least. There were people selling these ball carriers  on here and they fit on regular crossbows .Worked kinda like what has been talked about.
    Gnome
    Gnome
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Post by Gnome Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:14 am

I think that anyone interested in building a bullet crossbow would be well served to read Richard Middleton's "Practical Guide to Man-Powered Weapons and Ammunition." (It used to be called Man-Powered Bullets, but I guess that was too scary.) He covers most of the devices one might think of to launch a lead ball without gunpowder, focusing mainly on compressed air, but does cover vertical bows and crossbows. The science is laid out in a way that even I can grasp, and it is also an amusing read as un-self consciously makes fun of his pursuit.

I've had a compact ball tosser on the drawing board for a while now, languishing because I keep tacking new-to-me technology on it. Who knows what ideas will make it into the final build, but right now it is a slotted barrel design launching 5/8" ball bearings, powered by a compound bow system with oversize cams and short, rigid limbs using torsion springs. I have a couple of ideas for forcing the ball to roll against the top of the barrel to provide a spin like a backwards-rolling wheel to flatten the trajectory, and am also excited to steal a lever-cocking design from JoergS.
    Anyway, good luck with your endeavors!
    Gnome

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 12:22 pm