The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

+7
stuckinthemud1
Andy.
globalmark
Gnome
drawknife
Geezer
chilihook
11 posters

Plans and materials for my first build

chilihook
    chilihook
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Plans and materials for my first build Empty Plans and materials for my first build

Post by chilihook Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:08 am

If this is in the wrong spot or in anyway not in line with forum policies, my apologies!

So I am an absolute beginner crossbow builder, but I have some wood working and bowyering experience as well as decently fitted out little wood shop in my basement. I think this is gorgeous and is what I'd like to try to build:

Plans and materials for my first build Kompakt-nyilpuska-tarral-03

Am I out of my gourd? I think I'm at the reach of my abilities here... The parts where I have real concerns are the trigger mechanism (more on that in minute) and mounting the prod.

I am starting to gather materials and draw out plans. So far I have red oak for the stock and some steel banding to replicate the mounting plate as seen in the picture above. 

I am going to keep this fairly low draw weight at between 80 and 100 lbs and was wondering if delrin would be strong enough to make a nut from. Never having worked with it before, I'm not sure of its limitations.

The trigger/cam would be delrin, the lever steel, the nut delrin. All critiques are welcomed on this as I'm really not sure what I'm doing, lol.

The prod I'm considering would either be a manufactured one like on the crossbow pictured or using the tips of cross country skis to make my own. I'm not 100% how the prod is held in place in the photo, or in the series of photos this pic is taken from. Anyone have any guesses? Thanks in advance for any and all help!
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Plans and materials for my first build Empty Re: Plans and materials for my first build

Post by Geezer Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:25 am

Delrin will work fine for your nut.  I have used it successfully for many-many shots on bows up to @ 200 lb, though most of my stuff is 70-150 lb.
    Geezer.
    chilihook
    chilihook
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Plans and materials for my first build Empty Re: Plans and materials for my first build

Post by chilihook Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:09 pm

Good to know, thanks Geezer.

I tried to post a picture  of my planned trigger assembly but the site said that I need to wait 7 days before I can posted a site-hosted image. So I will post that image when I am able to!
    chilihook
    chilihook
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by chilihook Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:36 am

Plan of the design of the trigger I have in mind.

Plans and materials for my first build Crossbowtrigger
    drawknife
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by drawknife Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:37 pm

Hi chilihook,
    Just a couple of observations.
    The catch (sear) on the nut end of the pivot arm needs to work diametrically opposite the string hooks/claws.
    The length of the trigger arm looks quite long so you must make it strong enough not to bend or have any give.
    The cam on the trigger only needs to be long enough to move the arm up as far as needed to release the nut, it looks quite long on your drawing. You could have a two stage trigger pull on that mechanism.
    If you are using Delrin (I have found it very good in the past on some of my crossbows) you will need a steel wedge where the sear connects to stop wear.
    What are you intending to use as an axle for the nut or are you running it in a cradle?

The prod fixing is a whole new issue.
    Good luck
    Gnome
    Gnome
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Post by Gnome Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:37 pm

Hi Chilihook, and welcome to the forum! I did a bullpup design some time back, 
    https://thearbalistguild.forumotion.com/t571-number-two if you're interested in checking it out.
    I learned a lot on that one, and it changed a lot from design stage to finish.
    It's not nearly so long an action as you're showing us here, however.

This is a diagram of the trigger mechanism I made:
    Plans and materials for my first build Number2_lockmech01

I like the compact length, particularly with a swiveling foot stirrup, and it is very well balanced, too.
    What I don't like about the bullpup configuration is having the lock mechanism so close to my face.
    You may want to give that some serious thought before committing to such an extreme version.

Good luck and keep us posted!
    Gnome
    globalmark
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by globalmark Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:27 pm

Plans and materials for my first build Img_0310
    globalmark
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by globalmark Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:30 pm

Dont know where my writing went with above pic - 

Hi 

I just finished my crossbow short of a few finishing details and a sight - made my trigger from Aluminium and oak was pretty easy with standard woodwork tools , rasp , file hacksaw and holds a 160lbs prod no problem - based on chinese one - happy to give details if want ..
    i scaled it bigger to fit thickness of my timber using printer settings then cut out paper stuck to aluminium cut out - just filed and sanded until happy ..
    will post finished Xbow on new post .
    Mark
    chilihook
    chilihook
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by chilihook Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:52 pm

Revised trigger mechanism for you consideration.

Plans and materials for my first build Crossb11
    Andy.
    Workshop Savvy

Did you see my tool collection?

Workshop SavvyDid you see my tool collection?

Post by Andy. Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:42 pm

Nut sear face needs to be directly radial to nut pivot. Would suggest having it directly below the pin.

Consider having connector arm pivot closer to nut, and/or a longer trigger. Trigger travel will be more, but not as heavy.
    chilihook
    chilihook
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by chilihook Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:19 am

Thanks for the advice Andy. Moved the nut sear under the pin, moved the arm's pivot point closer to the nut for a little advantage, and redesigned the trigger itself to (hopefully) make for a lighter trigger pull. Revision here:

Plans and materials for my first build Crossb12
    chilihook
    chilihook
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by chilihook Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:51 pm

Side view of the plan. Length is about 28 3/4".

Plans and materials for my first build Crossb13
    Andy.
    Workshop Savvy

Post by Andy. Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:40 pm

Looks good!

You could also incorporate a spring of sorts to keep the nut in the loading position so you don't have to fiddle trying to reset it for cocking.
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:16 pm

Some high-end medieval/renaissance crossbows had a stop to prevent roller-nuts from spinning past a certain point.  Ideally you either want the nut to roll right over and reset, or roll down 90 degrees, leaving the flat behind the lugs upright.  Then drawing the string back should reset the whole shebang.
    The potential downside of having a stop: If your nut has substantial weight/intertia on release and it hits a stop after only 90 degrees of rotation, you may end up beating the stop right out of the stock, or beating up the sear-plug where the trigger engages.  So it might be a good idea to spring-load your stop, to reduce the shock of stopping.  Of course if you're making a simple falling-gate lock that's lightly built, you shouldn't have this problem.  But with a robust medieval roller, one might be better off just making the roller-nut spin freely and learn to reset the nut as a matter of course after shooting.  It depends... geezer.
    chilihook
    chilihook
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by chilihook Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:40 am

Thanks for all the posts everyone!

Been collecting my materials, red oak for the stock, bamboo for the deck (? no idea what the top of the stock is called where the bolt sits prior to shooting, lol), steel bar to make the bracketing, bowstring, 150 lb fiberglas prod (I ordered one, but they sent me three - double checked my order and I only asked for one, so yay!), multiplex, and some walnut for details.

Still need threaded fasteners, chicago bolts, wood inserts, aluminum for the trigger and arm, picatinny rail and scope, and a couple of small pieces of 1/8" steel for the sides of the roller nut housing. I'm sure I'm forgetting some things... oh yeah, TIME. I need some time. :-) Other than that, things are moving forward.
    stuckinthemud1
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Post by stuckinthemud1 Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:26 pm

The plate the bolt rides on is called the table.  Have you considered holly as a suitable timber in place of the bamboo - it is called false ivory sometimes and has a lovely colour...
    chilihook
    chilihook
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by chilihook Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:55 pm

stuckinthemud1 wrote:The plate the bolt rides on is called the table.  Have you considered holly as a suitable timber in place of the bamboo - it is called false ivory sometimes and has a lovely colour...
    Sounds nice. But I already bought the bamboo... I'll remember it though!
    chilihook
    chilihook
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by chilihook Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:22 am

Still gathering materials and finalizing plans, but it's coming together! Only thing I'm waiting on is the nut which I am having 3-d printed.

Here's the plan as it sits now: 
    Laminate construction of the stock, 3/4" red oak-1/4" baltic birch multiplex (recessed for trigger mechanism) - 3/4" red oak sandwiched together

Butt plate and riser for picatinny rail of stock - maple

Table - bamboo

Trigger guard and bolt holder - schedule 40 PVC

Stirrup - aluminum
    Stirrup mount - aluminum
    Stirrup mount and prod holders - aluminum

Prod - 150 lb fiberglass

Trigger - aluminum
    Trigger arm - aluminum
    Roller nut - delrin

Plans and materials for my first build Crossb14

I'm sure I'll have many questions as the build gets going, any and all help is greatly appreciated!
    Andy.
    Workshop Savvy

Post by Andy. Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:11 pm

Looking good! Stock design is great.

Personally I've strong reservations in using alli for the trigger link sear. Much better to go hard steel here, and similarly for the nut sear (wedge or pin in the Delrin). Aluminium is too soft for these high load points... especially with a 150lb prod providing the force.

Would also use steel side plates on side of stock where the link and nut are, and run the pivot pin right through. Better still, box the entire trigger mech in steel, and attach within stock.

Would also make the trigger mech removable, and not permanently sandwich in the stock laminates.
    chilihook
    chilihook
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by chilihook Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:18 am

Andy. wrote:Looking good! Stock design is great.

Personally I've strong reservations in using alli for the trigger link sear. Much better to go hard steel here, and similarly for the nut sear (wedge or pin in the Delrin). Aluminium is too soft for these high load points... especially with a 150lb prod providing the force.

Would also use steel side plates on side of stock where the link and nut are, and run the pivot pin right through. Better still, box the entire trigger mech in steel, and attach within stock.

Would also make the trigger mech removable, and not permanently sandwich in the stock laminates.
    Hi Andy! Thanks for the feedback. You're right, I completely forgot about the side plates, which I have since drawn up and will use similarly to how the original design used them. 

I have heard many differing opinions on the the strength required of the internals - from Joerg Sprave using multiplex for a trigger and release (wasn't a nut, don't know what to call it) on a 300 lb crossbow to folks here leaning towards steel for everything. Stronger IS better, but I have no good way of working with steel - I just don't have the right tools. I can work with aluminum though, which I thought was a decent compromise... guess I'll have to experiment a little.

You're right again, sealing the components inside the stock has been bothering me since the get go. The guy who built the original used a solid piece of wood and made a hollow for the mechanism (not a boxed trigger) to work in. This looked to me to be a time consuming effort with potentially a lot of chances to make mistakes and I am not as good a wood worker as the original builder - so I don't quite trust myself to not make things go crooked . Again, I'll have to think on this some more.
    chilihook
    chilihook
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by chilihook Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:53 am

The 3-D printed roller nut arrived Saturday morning - all the way from France! Took way less time to get to me than the original estimate of Oct. 2, bonus!

Feels very sturdy. The hole for the axle was made small intentionally; can always make a hole bigger if need be, real hard to make them smaller. The nut is 1" wide, the teeth are 1/4" wide, and the slot for the bolt is 1/2"

Plans and materials for my first build Img_6410
    Plans and materials for my first build Img_6412
    Plans and materials for my first build Img_6413
    chilihook
    chilihook
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by chilihook Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:12 pm

Hello again! Been quite a while since I've been actively researching/planning for building this crossbow. Life just keeps getting in the way. Well, with a big household project on hold for the next few months, I revisited my plans for this build - and i wound up revising the whole thing over the last couple of evenings.  Shocked

I was checking and rechecking my measurements based on the prod draw length from my original design and determined that the trigger and nut were way too far back -- my measurements were off by about 4 inches! Since I basically had to start over, I decided to REALLY start over. Fortunately, all the materials that I have will still work for this new design.

The trigger mechanism is much shorter now (still have to work out where to put springs and the safety) and is now a sort of "drop-in" type, the grip is based off of a Luger P08, while the rest of the look is kind of reminiscent of a stormtrooper's blaster from Star Wars.  Very Happy

Plans and materials for my first build New_de10

I have plenty more to figure out, but this was a lot of fun anyway. Let me know what you think - all comments and ideas are welcome!
    chilihook
    chilihook
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by chilihook Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:07 am

A  little progress, first rough cut-outs.

Plans and materials for my first build Img_4310
    septua
    septua
    Tinkerer

If there is a will, there is a way.

TinkererIf there is a will, there  is a way.

Post by septua Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:07 am

Chili
    In my opinion your cased trigger and laminated tiller is actually the smartest method for non-traditional crossbow. Ground dowel pins for axles are available locally in most major hardware stores. I get mine from True Value. I like them because they are cheap tough and very accurate.
    Tom

chilihook likes this post

chilihook
    chilihook
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by chilihook Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:02 am

Defining and evening out the shape. Also, the oak boards were too short for the design, so I had to glue on some extra length to the grips, lol.

Plans and materials for my first build Img_4313Plans and materials for my first build Img_4314

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 05, 2024 1:29 am