The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

+7
stuckinthemud1
Andy.
globalmark
Gnome
drawknife
Geezer
chilihook
11 posters

Plans and materials for my first build

chilihook
    chilihook
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Plans and materials for my first build - Page 2 Empty Plans and materials for my first build

Post by chilihook Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:08 am

First topic message reminder :

If this is in the wrong spot or in anyway not in line with forum policies, my apologies!

So I am an absolute beginner crossbow builder, but I have some wood working and bowyering experience as well as decently fitted out little wood shop in my basement. I think this is gorgeous and is what I'd like to try to build:

Plans and materials for my first build - Page 2 Kompakt-nyilpuska-tarral-03

Am I out of my gourd? I think I'm at the reach of my abilities here... The parts where I have real concerns are the trigger mechanism (more on that in minute) and mounting the prod.

I am starting to gather materials and draw out plans. So far I have red oak for the stock and some steel banding to replicate the mounting plate as seen in the picture above. 

I am going to keep this fairly low draw weight at between 80 and 100 lbs and was wondering if delrin would be strong enough to make a nut from. Never having worked with it before, I'm not sure of its limitations.

The trigger/cam would be delrin, the lever steel, the nut delrin. All critiques are welcomed on this as I'm really not sure what I'm doing, lol.

The prod I'm considering would either be a manufactured one like on the crossbow pictured or using the tips of cross country skis to make my own. I'm not 100% how the prod is held in place in the photo, or in the series of photos this pic is taken from. Anyone have any guesses? Thanks in advance for any and all help!
    chilihook
    chilihook
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Plans and materials for my first build - Page 2 Empty Re: Plans and materials for my first build

Post by chilihook Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:58 pm

Model of the proposed trigger to make sure that I got everything measured right and that it actually works. Had to make a couple of adjustments to some things. Still need to figure out a safety - if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears! Also, thank God for scroll saws.

Plans and materials for my first build - Page 2 Img_4315
    Plans and materials for my first build - Page 2 Img_4316
    chilihook
    chilihook
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Plans and materials for my first build - Page 2 Empty Re: Plans and materials for my first build

Post by chilihook Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:50 am

Bamboo for the table is cut, just needs to be planed down to the thickness I need.

Plans and materials for my first build - Page 2 Img_4317
    chilihook
    chilihook
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by chilihook Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:01 pm

Shaping the grip. I thinned it down on the table saw to be more comfortable in my hand. We'll see of the Luger handle style lasts... it's going to be hard to maintain it's sharper edges through the refining and sanding process. So far the red oak has been great to work with.

Also cut out the location for the prod. Pretty good couple of hours this afternoon. Progress!

Plans and materials for my first build - Page 2 Img_4318Plans and materials for my first build - Page 2 Img_4319
    chilihook
    chilihook
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by chilihook Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:27 pm

The new metal-cutting band saw blade arrived today and was quickly put in to use. What had looked to me to be the most daunting task of this build, cutting out the trigger and actuator was a much easier process than I could have thought. Well, so far anyway. The trigger and actuator are 1/4" thick bar stock and the side plates are 1/8". They're just rough cut at the moment, final shaping to be filed and Dremeled over the weekend.

Plans and materials for my first build - Page 2 Img_4322

Plans and materials for my first build - Page 2 Img_4323
    chilihook
    chilihook
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by chilihook Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:18 pm

Trigger and actuator with the casing. Screws I got in this pic are too short, had to run out and get longer ones and will likely have to trim them flush when this part's complete. Going to use the pins shown as axles for the trigger and actuator, the roller nut will be held in place with a Chicago bolt through the casing, side of the xbow and an aluminum plate on the side of the stock.

Still have yet to figure out a good, clean safety. I've seen a lot about where to place them; at the trigger vs. the sear, etc. just not how to actually MAKE one.

Anyhow, it's coming along!

Plans and materials for my first build - Page 2 Img_4324
    Andy.
    Workshop Savvy

Did you see my tool collection?

Workshop SavvyDid you see my tool collection?

Post by Andy. Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:32 pm

Looking good!

Are you planning on hardening the trigger sears? Are they regular mild steel?

chilihook likes this post

chilihook
    chilihook
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by chilihook Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:24 am

Andy. wrote:Looking good!

Are you planning on hardening the trigger sears? Are they regular mild steel?

Hi Andy - thanks! I decided to go with an aluminum mechanism with steel pins and steel machine screws. The trigger is 1/4" thick and has a shear strength of 9000lbs psi. With the prod only being 150lbs at an 11 1/2" draw I think I'm safe. I will definitely be testing the mechanism thoroughly first though!
    c sitas
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Post by c sitas Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:37 pm

The hardening of the pieces has nothing to do with how strong they are, only how smooth and easy they work together, known as the release. Hard facing softer metals can be done a couple of easy ways. I like what I've seen of your trigger so far.
    c sitas
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by c sitas Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:39 pm

Are you planning to make a hard face for your string catch?
    c sitas
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by c sitas Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:40 pm

were you planning on making a hard face for your string catch?
    chilihook
    chilihook
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by chilihook Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:30 pm

Hey - Could someone tell me how much tension is supposed to be on the nut when it's at rest? Should it just spin freely, be a little loose, or should it be tight enough to hold position without rotating?

Thanks!
    chilihook
    chilihook
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by chilihook Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:41 am

c sitas wrote:The hardening of the pieces has nothing to do with how strong they are, only how smooth and easy they work together, known as the release. Hard facing softer metals can be done a couple of easy ways. I like what I've seen of your trigger so far.
    I'm thinking maybe I misunderstood the previous question of hardening. I was thinking of a harder metal like steel vs. aluminum. How can I hard-face aluminum, never heard of it before?
    Andy.
    Workshop Savvy

Post by Andy. Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:16 am

Nice design, but imo, alli will likely gall or fail completely at the sear points. Way too soft
    c sitas
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by c sitas Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:06 am

Chillihook , sorry I haven't been around for awhile. Maybe you slightly misuderstand  me  about hard facing. I've sucessfully used this on a lot of my homemade crossbow locks.  Starting with a delrin string claw, I hard face that in two places. Next using a lum. , I'll epoxy piesces of old hacksaw blades to a face that I want hard. Carefully grind to shape. When held by your fingers , you don't have to worry about harming temper. I always use JB weld , never had one let go in over 5 years  of monkey work. This method really makes a difference in the pressure used to move a surface. such as a trigger. I forgot to mention that I like to polish one side of the blade, while scratching up the other side for a good for a good bond.

Andy. and chilihook like this post

Andy.
    Workshop Savvy

Post by Andy. Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:59 pm

c sitas wrote: epoxy piesces of old hacksaw blades to a face that I want hard. Carefully grind to shape. When held by your fingers , you don't have to worry about harming temper. I always use JB weld 

Great tip! thanks for sharing
    chilihook
    chilihook
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by chilihook Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:43 am

Things have been a bit slow lately as I've had to make some adjustments to the trigger mechanism. I decided to go with stainless steel parts for the whole thing. Going to take a little bit of time to get them made up and done (had to farm them out, just no tools to work on steel like that), but should have them by mid-April. Also had the prod mount, stirrup and stirrup mount made out of stainless too.

More to come!
    chilihook
    chilihook
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by chilihook Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:35 am

These finally arrived yesterday. Shouldn't complain, took less than a week to get them. Feels like I cheated going this route, just no real way to work with steel at my house. Laser cut stainless steel. Still need to countersink and tap the side plates and bend the pieces of the stirrup. The only part left to have made is a steel nut. That might take awhile though.

Plans and materials for my first build - Page 2 Ss_par10
    chilihook
    chilihook
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by chilihook Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:54 pm

:::A little bit of grossness warning:::

Well, a bit of carelessness and the shop gods exacted a blood sacrifice. Could've been worse, but bet it stings tomorrow.

Plans and materials for my first build - Page 2 Thumb_10
    c sitas
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by c sitas Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:39 pm

Man, get some duct tape on that thing. I tape as soon as possible then worry about cleaning it. Found over the years they heal way faster than stitches. Better to be more careful to start with.also on the subject of your steel nut. Maybe you could consider a nut made of delrin with metal inserts. I use these all the  time when making triggers . Gezzer on this forum showed how to do this . Works perfect and have never had a failure. They are way better on string wear also. also  , you had mentioned a saftey. The best safety is always on the sear. in your wooden mock up , if you look directly above the end of the  sear and straight up from the trigger, vision a lever at that position that when moved , it would exstend down and block the upward movement of the sear. The state where I live mandates a safety for hunting crossbows period.

chilihook likes this post

chilihook
    chilihook
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by chilihook Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:35 pm

Trigger assembly about 75% complete. Tapped all the holes that needed it, had to ream some of the holes prior to countersinking so that the machine screw wasn't threading the front of the plate. Nylon washers and shims to space. Need to deburr the front stainless pieces and mount them as well as "hardening off" the nut I have with a piece of old hacksaw blade. Next I think will be mounting the prod locks and then routering out the cavity for the trigger mechanism.

Plans and materials for my first build - Page 2 Img_5011
    Plans and materials for my first build - Page 2 Img_5010
    chilihook
    chilihook
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by chilihook Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:47 pm

Stirrup assembly. Still needs cleaning up. Not exactly how I wanted it to come out, but I'll take it. Bending stainless steel is no joke!

Plans and materials for my first build - Page 2 Img_5012
    Andy.
    Workshop Savvy

Post by Andy. Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:17 pm

Looking good!
    tghsmith
    tghsmith
    Tinkerer

If there is a will, there is a way.

TinkererIf there is a will, there  is a way.

Post by tghsmith Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:23 am

looking great,have you thought about some spacer tubes over the screws to keep the lock sides dead square?
    chilihook
    chilihook
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by chilihook Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:05 pm

tghsmith wrote:looking great,have you thought about some spacer tubes over the screws to keep the lock sides dead square?
    I hadn't, but that's a great idea - thanks!
    chilihook
    chilihook
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by chilihook Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:10 pm

Kind of a 'dry fit' of the prod mount/ stirrup assembly. Looks okay right? Figure I'm about 50% of the way there...

Plans and materials for my first build - Page 2 Img_5013

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 11:18 am