The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

+2
Basilisk120
Mr. Apol
6 posters

Crossbow law changes in North Carolina

Mr. Apol
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Crossbow law changes in North Carolina Empty Crossbow law changes in North Carolina

Post by Mr. Apol Tue May 10, 2011 7:25 pm

At the end of April the NC state legislature rescinded the law that required residents of North Carolina to get a permit from the local sheriff before they could buy a crossbow. (This is the same process required to buy a handgun in NC). Senate bill 406 repealed that part of the permit requirement. Now guys like me can buy a crossbow without all the red tape and fees associated with the permit process.

Oddly enough, the inclusion of crossbows in the old law was not the work of anti-hunting or anti-weapon fanatics, but a lobbying group of North Carolina bowhunters, who object to crossbows as unsporting and (reading their webpage) rather sinister.

Paul Thompson

Senate bill 406 of 2011:

http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2011/Bills/Senate/PDF/S406v3.pdf

A webpage by the North Carolina Bowhunters Assoc.:

http://www.ncbowhunter.com/cb_fact_fiction.html

Basilisk120
    Basilisk120

Crossbow law changes in North Carolina Empty Re: Crossbow law changes in North Carolina

Post by Basilisk120 Tue May 10, 2011 11:21 pm

Hey glad to hear the law was changed. Just reading on North Carolina hunting regs. If I read them correctly crossbows were legal for archery season before they were new law change? That's cool.

Man the North Carolina Bowhunters Assoc. really annoys me. All I have read about them is the one page you have linked and they annoy me and that has nothing to do with me liking crossbows. Even if I wasn't a crossbow guy and was just in to taking deer with a compound bow they would still piss me off with that position. Gah us hunters need to do more to stick together and let these petty differences create wins for the anti-hunting crowd. They go off on how crossbows shouldn't be in the "primitive hunting" season. well neither should compounds.

Quick story: A SCA friend of mine, who is into traditional archery - long bow and Japanese yumi and gives me good natured crap for "cheating" with a crossbow. got talking to a guy at the range about crossbows. The guy was going off on how crossbows are cheating and not real archery and what not. My friend then laughed at him and then explained how compound bows are not really different that crossbows, with there sights and releases and high let off weight and if crossbows are cheating then so are compounds. The guy was not amused. I thought it was funny.

All right I have more I could say on the topic but its late and I need to get to bed. But glad to hear about the win and good luck
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Crossbow law changes in North Carolina Empty Re: Crossbow law changes in North Carolina

Post by Ivo Wed May 11, 2011 12:26 am

Yeh, definite congrats man!

Same story was here in Jersey, think it was 2009 that crossbows finally became legal to own/hunt with.

The NC bow hunters do make a few good points and I like bows, their construction, and the feel and challenge of shooting one...and I can even understand their stance of restricting crossbows from their competitions, but hunting...that's where I disagree.

Guess history once again showed us that "scissors beat paper".

Crossbow law changes in North Carolina Hitler10

HAve fun shooting your crossbow without any restrictions man and also let us know when you decide to build one. Wink

Ivo
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Wed May 11, 2011 7:58 am

The prejudice against crossbows and crossbow-shooters in the US is pervasive and as hard to argue against as racial prejudice once was all across the South. The handbow guys have these hardened attitudes, based on little or no information, that are not subject to reason in any way. You can say it's still archery... little arrows shot from bows at low velocity, you can point out the fact that modern compound-bows with trigger-releases and laser sights are more sophisticated and mechanized than medieval crossbows, but they don't want to hear it, much less reconsider prejudice. That's how prejudice works.
    Geezer.
    mac
    mac
    Master Weaponsmith
    Master Weaponsmith

Post by mac Wed May 11, 2011 10:03 am

I think we inherited these prejudices from the English. It's all about putting a patriotic spin their exalted longbow.

I have nothing against longbows....just the people who fetishize them.

Mac
    Todd the archer
    Todd the archer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Post by Todd the archer Wed May 11, 2011 4:57 pm

I think their motto is "Don't confuse me with the facts". Funny thing is a lot of trad and compound archesr think they all are against crossbows. Truth is a lot a trad archers ARE okay with crossbows. Hey I am one myself!
    Crossbow law changes in North Carolina Crazypics141

Todd
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo Wed May 11, 2011 11:01 pm

I think their motto is "Don't confuse me with the facts"

I've grown to love this one - "I respect myself and therefore I respect others" ...I'd put it in my signature, but it's too close to the heart to remove. Smile

Trad Archers...

Hey I am one myself!

I had a picture somewhere where my brothers and I are shooting the maple stickbows I made in our parents backyard...whip-ended tiller on my one brother's, misaligned tips on the other, and insane hand-shock on mine...Those were the days. Crossbow law changes in North Carolina 46910

Ivo

PS: Sweet bow Todd! Jam

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:58 am