The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

4 posters

NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTION'S

Phil Abrahams
    Phil Abrahams
    Talisman Crossbows

NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTION'S Empty NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTION'S

Post by Phil Abrahams Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:18 pm

Big thank's to Ivo for the invite onto this very cool forum.I should have registered here a while ago but i have been very buzy and not just making crossbow's but now i am glad to be part of this crossbow forum.
    Basilisk120
    Basilisk120

NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTION'S Empty Re: NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTION'S

Post by Basilisk120 Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:14 pm

Welcome to the forums. Glad to see you final got around to joining Very Happy

I have been so lusting after the Talisman Beast. Ahh the lack of funds Mad

Once again welcome and I can't wait to see what unique things you share with us.
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:17 am

Haha, Phil! Great to see you join our little round table.

I got so many questions for you, hope not everything is a secret about you. Smile

I mean, I'll keep the questions for later, more appropriate times, so for now it's just great to welcome you here.

Hope you have a good stay and please feel welcome to keep us posted on your projects...your bows are wicked and we love it! NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTION'S 204712

Ivo
    Phil Abrahams
    Phil Abrahams
    Talisman Crossbows

Post by Phil Abrahams Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:06 am

Lol,many thank's for the appreciation of my work and i love a lot of the crossbow's out there especially the medieval crossbow's as they look so beautiful and made to last.We all have many thing's in common on this site and i love this site and please feel free to ask question's as i love to share helpful idea's if i can help.There is some incredible craftsmanship out there today and i love Basilisk crossbow's and Robin Allen RIP was incredible and i am very sad as i so wanted to meet up with him and see his work in the flesh.Also there are many other wicked crossbow maker's out there making some very awesome bow's and we all have our own idea's and varying way's of making our dream crossbow's.High powered flexing recurve's are my fovourite crossbow's and i have discovered a fantastic technique to make very powerful yet 100 percent safe one piece prod's that can draw way past the 400lb's mark and these are both lightweight and shoot at very high speed's with as light a projectile as you want with no worrie's of these bow's breaking even on dryfire's.So enabling a Medieval crossbow to have ultra high performance even more so than a modern very high powered hunting recurve crossbow.A recurve is the best by far i think as it can shoot very heavy bolt's at good speed as well as lightweight bolt's and they also look the coolest and meanest by far to me and are easy to maintain stringwise and far less to go wrong.Anyway i am very happy to be part of this.
    Phil Abrahams
    Phil Abrahams
    Talisman Crossbows

Post by Phil Abrahams Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:27 am

I want to make a very powerful madieval crossbow with a windlass following the traditional look and craftsmanship with inlay's and other art but to have it all running with a handmade laminated spring steel and alloy prod and a fastflite ultra strong string and also a windlass but with incredibly strong cord.This is how i make my very poweful recurve prod's,first i aquire toughened alluminium bar that had been rolled t 6mm thickness and depending on width of band i usually use aroung 4".Depending on powestroke which i usually run from 8" to 11" i find a bowspan with string in place around the 35" mark to be a good point.Having cut the shape of the prod i then bend it into shape also recurving both end's and fit a string after rounding off the knock end's to see how it flexe's i want it to flex equally through the bow and this can be very tricky.Once this is done i then cut either one or two outer skin's made from a large industrial bandsaw blade from a timber mill and this is riveted to the alloy prod starting from the centre i use around half a dozen alloy rod peice's to rivet it into place then use music wire around 4mm dia in between each alloy 6mm rivet for added strength.I can upload a detailed plan on here to fully explain the procedure if wished.Anyway this may help out for now,please do not hesitate to ask if help is needed have fun,Phil.
    Basilisk120
    Basilisk120

Post by Basilisk120 Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:32 am

Phil,

I am definatly interested in how you make your prods and would love it if you could post a more detailed plan. This sounds like all sorts of fun. Very Happy
    Lightly
    Lightly
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Lightly Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:48 pm

Welcome, Phil!
    Like Basilisk, I, too, have a lust for your bows! Yours, and a bow from Tod, of Tod's Stuff, and one from that man who does those incredible carvings on the bows.
    Of course, I have a NWA bow, I've built me a pistol crossbow, and I have a purpleheart Padre Island bow that I steal a minute or two to work on here and there, as well as a germanic cavalry bow. I figure once the cavalry bow is done, my husband will HAVE to buy me a horse.
    One cannot have too many bows..
    Ah, I forgot the Maximilian bow I need to make in cherry, to put my Elkwood laminated prod in...

Glad to have you here, and look forward to your input!

Best;

Lightly.

DMITRIY! The man with the wonderful carved stocks....yes, I covet a bow from him very much...

Last edited by Lightly on Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Remembered the name of the man who does those incredible carvings...)
    Lightly
    Lightly
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Lightly Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:36 pm

Ah, whups, Elk Ridge laminated prod! Embarassed Don't tell Joe...

Best!

Lightly

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:55 am