The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

4 posters

Some thoughts on stocks and stock designs

Hermit
    Workshop Savvy

Did you see my tool collection?

Workshop SavvyDid you see my tool collection?

Some thoughts on stocks and stock designs Empty Some thoughts on stocks and stock designs

Post by Hermit Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:55 pm

During the course of a long(some would claim miss-spent)life I have had occasion to fire many weapons,some with shoulder stocks,some without.There are 3 main requirements of a weapon fired from the shoulder,comfort,comfort and comfort!If you feel comfortable with it,it is going to work for you!.I am sure we have all seen crossbows with extended channels,counterweights,and various other gadgets and widgets on them,and I don't doubt that they are there for a reason,but unless you are an olympic class shot,and do nothing but target shooting,you need to ask yourself do you need them?When designing a stock you can design for form,function,or a combination of both.Shoulder stocks have been around long enough that the basic function is thoroughly understood,and in the last forty years,I have seen only two major innovations in stock design,the addition of a cheek piece,and a pistol grip type stock.Neither of these two designs seem to be universally adopted,as there are still weapons being made in the old style.The thing to look for in a stock are simple,when you hold it into your shoulder,does it feel comfortable?,does your eye find the sight picture naturally,or do you have to move your head around to find it?does you finger rest naturally on the trigger,or do you have to extend it to reach?does your arm feel comfortable when supporting the fore-end,or do you have to extend or retract your forearm to find a comfortable position?if your answer to all of these questions is yes,then you have the right stock design.The only way that I know of to achieve this objective,is to make a rough model of the stock,and adjust it to fit.If you are making a medieval replica,or a crossbow that will look pretty on the wall,then please feel free to ignore all of the above...........I have learned during my shooting life,that there are two types of marksmen,one is a natural shot,and the other is a trained shot.Natural shots are rare,but you can become a trained shot.No amount of fancy stock ware,or fancy stock design, is going to help you,if you can't shoot well in the first place.
    chaz
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Some thoughts on stocks and stock designs Empty Re: Some thoughts on stocks and stock designs

Post by chaz Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:56 pm

Quite often it seems the accuracy of the weapon far exceeds the abilities of the shooter, however, I like what you have to say about the relation of comfort of the weapon to the shooter, and therefore, should bring a positive result between the two.

Nice thoughts.

Chaz
    actionbow
    actionbow
    Workshop Savvy

Some thoughts on stocks and stock designs Empty Re: Some thoughts on stocks and stock designs

Post by actionbow Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:45 pm

My goals have been stability, and ease of firing. Cheek rest and high sights help, bullpup pistol grip with close, light trigger helps. My latest bow design has so far proven the most accurate. Long, light trigger draw and a stock that just snugs perfectly into the body with no awkward bending of the neck.
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:27 am

bullpup designs are certainly compact and attractive, but they DO bring the lock and bowstring very close to the face.  That worries me.  Geezer.
    actionbow
    actionbow
    Workshop Savvy

Post by actionbow Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:52 am

I know what you mean geezer. I had to pull my trigger position back and lengthen my stock a couple of inches for exactly that reason.
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:06 am

Yeah:  Of course if your design is good and string properly made, there Shouldn't be any danger... but when you've had a couple of unexpected crossbow-adventures, you get a bit shy of these things.  Geezer/Adventurer
    actionbow
    actionbow
    Workshop Savvy

Post by actionbow Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:14 am

I hear that! I have been working to see how much recurve I can build into a wood/fiberglass composite bow and I made the mistake of trying to use hickory as a core wood for a 200lb set of limbs. I am glad the belly and back were both glass laminated. I am on the 4th generation of material combinations but the first couple died scary deaths. The first one exploded, thankfully on a vice. Even so I still got a good scratch on the neck....right on the carotid! 

No more hickory cores.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:10 am