The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

+5
Lee Slikkers
Basilisk120
jds6
Gnome
stoneagebowyer
9 posters

Central European, in Black Walnut

stoneagebowyer
    stoneagebowyer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Central European, in Black Walnut Empty Central European, in Black Walnut

Post by stoneagebowyer Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:24 am

Central European, in Black Walnut Finishing0142Central European, in Black Walnut Finishing0152Central European, in Black Walnut Finishing0172Central European, in Black Walnut Finishing0112Central European, in Black Walnut Finishing0082Central European, in Black Walnut Finishing0062Central European, in Black Walnut Finishing0022Central European, in Black Walnut Finishing0012Central European, in Black Walnut Finishing0092

Hi, gang.

Some of you may recall that disaster I had with the central European tiller for my latest project. And as sound as the idea was of splicing in new wood and creating a new tiller front area, I don’t have those skills. So, off I went to my local hardwood dealer, found some amazing black walnut, and built me a new tiller.

The black walnut was a pleasure to work with, and is eye popping when finished, with, in this case, tung oil. It was a bit splintery, which caused some issues during the inlaying procedure, but overall, I am happy with how it looks. Heavy stuff, too! This is by far the heaviest crossbow I have built, which hopefully will help when shooting it.

More details later, but overall, I am using dried gut to lash in the rolling nut. It is not completed, but the photos will convey how it will look. I am making a brass bolt clip, which I dated 2 2012 (should have perhaps been 3 lol, but saying this weapon was done on leap day is kinda cool) using hand metal stamps looks a bit crude and cool, sort of a steampunky aesthetic, perhaps. I relied on Mac’s data and drawings for lashing on the prod using heavy 8/6 linen thread, and used Henry’s suggestions to being wrapping at the figure 8 area near the prod rather than around and around at the binding hole end. I brushed some hide glue on when I was done.

The basket woven rawhide method I really like for attaching the stirrup. I don’t particularly like how heavy this rawhide is, and feel it looks kind of crude and heavy. I am going to keep this on, but for next time, much thinner stuff will be used.

This was my first go at inlaying bone, and it came out okay. The walnut was somewhat crumbly at times, and that caused me to modify how I inlaid the bone pieces. But overall, I am satisfied.

Now, I am going to be making some strings and testing the bow. I will of course post then. Wish me luck!
    Gnome
    Gnome
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Central European, in Black Walnut Empty Re: Central European, in Black Walnut

Post by Gnome Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:19 am

Looks awesome! That's how to get back on the horse.
    jds6
    jds6
    Workshop Savvy

Did you see my tool collection?

Workshop SavvyDid you see my tool collection?

Post by jds6 Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:11 pm

Very nice indeed! From the pics it seems to be very long. What is the over all length?
    Jds6
    stoneagebowyer
    stoneagebowyer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by stoneagebowyer Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:16 pm

Thanks, Gnome. As usually happens in these sorts of situations, the end result is much better.

Jds6, thank you. The total length of the weapon is 32.25" long, measured from the end of the tiller to the butt along the top. Maybe it is pretty slim overall, which gives the appearance of it being longer than it is. I took to heart a comment Mac said about how modern crossbow builders seem to have much fatter tillers with more wood than then historic builders. I could have gone much slimmer than I did, and the overall dimensions fit my body well.

I just screwed on the bolt clip, a sweaty bit of work, as I was envisioning splitting the bone as the screw went in, but it came out well. I also managed to mangle one finger a bit while making a string tensioning jig - amazing what a single screwdriver coupled with wandering attention can do lol. I will live, though.

Dane
    Basilisk120
    Basilisk120

Post by Basilisk120 Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:32 pm

Glad to hear you weren't mangled too badly makine the tiller, if you don't bleed its not a real project Razz

But the blood and sweat that have good in to have so far paid off well. That is one fine looking crossbow. And I agree that Black Walnut is one good looking wood. Seem to make everything look better.
    Lee Slikkers
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Post by Lee Slikkers Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:04 pm

Gosh that's a real Beaut! Cool
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:31 pm

What a sweet bow. +1 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I've been looking at it on my phone, but on a big screen it's really looking smooth. Haha, in real life it's probably even better. Way to go on the comeback man. cheers

Interesting how yo will go about that string, think natural colored B-50 would look sweet. (If yo need some, I'll take some off the spool and drop it in the envelope.)

Best,

Ivo
    stoneagebowyer
    stoneagebowyer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by stoneagebowyer Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:02 am

Central European, in Black Walnut Clip0032

Lee, welcome aboard!

Ivo, thanks, I think it came out okay. And thank you, but I have plenty of B50 lol. Black and yellow are my two colors at this moment, plus black serving thread.

My little jig works great, thanks to you for the vidoes and ideas. No, it is not pretty, but I don't think anyone minds. Here is a shot if it, with some linen I was messing around with to see how it all worked, or if it worked Smile

Right now, I am following Payne-Gallwey in an end serving reenforcement suggestion, but not sure where that is leading me. We will see.

Dane
    Michael
    Michael
    Techno Weeny

Lets put a laser on it!!!

Techno WeenyLets put a laser on it!!!

Central European, in Black Walnut Empty What is that jig?

Post by Michael Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:51 pm

Dane: Mike here what is that jig used for. And how does it work. Is it fore making bow string? Very interesting.
    stoneagebowyer
    stoneagebowyer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by stoneagebowyer Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:09 am

A sting tensioning jig. It is mainly useful for center serving. It was easy to build and use, but I do have to modify it a bit. To tension the string, you simply tighten the nuts with a wrench. The thread about strings is here https://thearbalistguild.forumotion.com/t567p15-string-and-brace-again#5054

Dane
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:58 am

Re: Stoneagebowyer's new walnut bow.
    Geezer here with a tip: Your new bow is beautiful, very nice work, with one caveat: You've made the bolt-rest at the front pretty tall. It may work fine, but in my experience, taller rests sometimes impart a porpoising flight to your bolts. If you run into such a problem, just make the rest lower, so the bottom of the groove barely clears the table. That should take care of it.
    But remember, depending on details of geometry, sometimes a taller rest will work out fine, so don't go butchering something that doesn't need fixing. Have fun! Geezer.
    mac
    mac
    Master Weaponsmith
    Master Weaponsmith

Post by mac Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:34 am

Dane,

I think Geezer is on to something there. The rest does look a bit tall. The ones on historical bows look more like they just *steady*, rather than *elevate* the bolt.

Shoot it a few times, and look for porpoiseing. (you know the "shooting through a sheet of paper" trick...yes?) If there is trouble, you can fix it with a bit of careful filling.

Mac
    stoneagebowyer
    stoneagebowyer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by stoneagebowyer Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:22 pm

Thanks to both of you. I will be testing soon (this weekend got away from me), and will report the results. Part of this game is learning as you go. I do know the sheet of paper trick, thanks, Mac. BTW, the bolt groove in the rest is incomplete as of yet, and will be formed as I test it.

Dane

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:23 pm