Some of you may recall that disaster I had with the central European tiller for my latest project. And as sound as the idea was of splicing in new wood and creating a new tiller front area, I don’t have those skills. So, off I went to my local hardwood dealer, found some amazing black walnut, and built me a new tiller.
The black walnut was a pleasure to work with, and is eye popping when finished, with, in this case, tung oil. It was a bit splintery, which caused some issues during the inlaying procedure, but overall, I am happy with how it looks. Heavy stuff, too! This is by far the heaviest crossbow I have built, which hopefully will help when shooting it.
More details later, but overall, I am using dried gut to lash in the rolling nut. It is not completed, but the photos will convey how it will look. I am making a brass bolt clip, which I dated 2 2012 (should have perhaps been 3 lol, but saying this weapon was done on leap day is kinda cool) using hand metal stamps looks a bit crude and cool, sort of a steampunky aesthetic, perhaps. I relied on Mac’s data and drawings for lashing on the prod using heavy 8/6 linen thread, and used Henry’s suggestions to being wrapping at the figure 8 area near the prod rather than around and around at the binding hole end. I brushed some hide glue on when I was done.
The basket woven rawhide method I really like for attaching the stirrup. I don’t particularly like how heavy this rawhide is, and feel it looks kind of crude and heavy. I am going to keep this on, but for next time, much thinner stuff will be used.
This was my first go at inlaying bone, and it came out okay. The walnut was somewhat crumbly at times, and that caused me to modify how I inlaid the bone pieces. But overall, I am satisfied.
Now, I am going to be making some strings and testing the bow. I will of course post then. Wish me luck!