The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

+7
stuckinthemud1
Andy.
globalmark
Gnome
drawknife
Geezer
chilihook
11 posters

Plans and materials for my first build

chilihook
    chilihook
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Plans and materials for my first build - Page 3 Empty Plans and materials for my first build

Post by chilihook Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:08 am

First topic message reminder :

If this is in the wrong spot or in anyway not in line with forum policies, my apologies!

So I am an absolute beginner crossbow builder, but I have some wood working and bowyering experience as well as decently fitted out little wood shop in my basement. I think this is gorgeous and is what I'd like to try to build:

Plans and materials for my first build - Page 3 Kompakt-nyilpuska-tarral-03

Am I out of my gourd? I think I'm at the reach of my abilities here... The parts where I have real concerns are the trigger mechanism (more on that in minute) and mounting the prod.

I am starting to gather materials and draw out plans. So far I have red oak for the stock and some steel banding to replicate the mounting plate as seen in the picture above. 

I am going to keep this fairly low draw weight at between 80 and 100 lbs and was wondering if delrin would be strong enough to make a nut from. Never having worked with it before, I'm not sure of its limitations.

The trigger/cam would be delrin, the lever steel, the nut delrin. All critiques are welcomed on this as I'm really not sure what I'm doing, lol.

The prod I'm considering would either be a manufactured one like on the crossbow pictured or using the tips of cross country skis to make my own. I'm not 100% how the prod is held in place in the photo, or in the series of photos this pic is taken from. Anyone have any guesses? Thanks in advance for any and all help!
    Gnome
    Gnome
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Plans and materials for my first build - Page 3 Empty Re: Plans and materials for my first build

Post by Gnome Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:11 am

I've done a few builds with similar foot stirrups- I liked the idea of folding it back to shorten the carry length, or even use it as a stand-in for a bipod. A round bolt or tube is more efficient to fabricate than a a flat plate for the foot step, as well. But I gave up on both those ideas after some field use- standing on the stirrup gave no support or stability to the weapon at all while drawing, I had to brace it with my leg while both hands were busy with the string. It really sucked one day when I got distracted and the crossbow flopped forward onto stony ground and damaged my new red dot sight!
    Hope you have better luck than I did. If not, I'd recommend maybe stiffening up the swivel point so it stays where you want it and replacing the tube with something flat, or a rod with a generous bend out in the middle.
    Looking forward to seeing how it all works out!
    Gnome
    chilihook
    chilihook
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Plans and materials for my first build - Page 3 Empty Re: Plans and materials for my first build

Post by chilihook Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:39 am

Gnome wrote:I've done a few builds with similar foot stirrups- I liked the idea of folding it back to shorten the carry length, or even use it as a stand-in for a bipod. A round bolt or tube is more efficient to fabricate than a a flat plate for the foot step, as well. But I gave up on both those ideas after some field use- standing on the stirrup gave no support or stability to the weapon at all while drawing, I had to brace it with my leg while both hands were busy with the string. It really sucked one day when I got distracted and the crossbow flopped forward onto stony ground and damaged my new red dot sight!
    Hope you have better luck than I did. If not, I'd recommend maybe stiffening up the swivel point so it stays where you want it and replacing the tube with something flat, or a rod with a generous bend out in the middle.
    Looking forward to seeing how it all works out!
    Gnome
    Thanks Gnome! Yes, I've given that exact scenario some thought and I'm hoping sufficiently tight locknuts at the mounting point will allow me to position the stirrup to where I want and hold it there. But believe me, I'll be checking it regularly!
    drawknife
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by drawknife Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:31 pm

I have not read all the answers to your questions but I have used some of the materials/techniques you need.
    Delrin is an Acrylic type material, brittle under pressure but strong in the right circumstances. I have used it for a nut but it needs a hard metal fillet where the sear catches the lower part of the nut.
    The surfaces that come in contact with each other and slide together need to be almost glass hard because mild steel type materials will wear very quickly and cause premature releasing of the nut, dangerous. 
    The stirrup bolt, foot bar and string catch on the nut need to be all in line otherwise you will have movement when drawing.
    all surfaces that come in contact with the string should be mirror smooth or the string will wear.
    Make sure the grain direction on the top surface of the stock where the string slides is pointing in the direction of string movement otherwise small slivers of wood could be caught in the string.
    This is just the start. The main thing is that even a 80 to 100 lbs draw weight crossbow can be lethal to the shooter or anyone passing.

chilihook likes this post

chilihook
    chilihook
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by chilihook Thu May 13, 2021 9:24 am

Been out of it for a few weeks as my kids' sports seasons are in high gear. Most of my free time these days is spent out at either a baseball or softball field. :-) Some pics of recent, but slow progress. The big "NO" on the side was to make sure I didn't do anything stupid like router out the wrong side of the stock, lol.

Plans and materials for my first build - Page 3 Img_7113
    Plans and materials for my first build - Page 3 Img_7112
    Plans and materials for my first build - Page 3 Img_7114

hoopslaboratories likes this post

kenh
    kenh
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by kenh Fri May 14, 2021 5:33 am

Looks like a Thompson Sub Machine Gun at this stage!!!   Good job so far.  I also mark projects Yes/No or Inside/Outside or Cut Me to prevent too many FUBARs
    chilihook
    chilihook
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by chilihook Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:42 am

Some more progress - pics of the scope mount/guard... what do you actually call this thing, lol? Any way, it' shaped up and in position for the pics. Still have to drill mounting holes for it as well as attach the bolt holder to the underside, but hey - it's getting there. :-)

Plans and materials for my first build - Page 3 Img_8010
    Plans and materials for my first build - Page 3 Img_8011
    Plans and materials for my first build - Page 3 Img_8013
    Plans and materials for my first build - Page 3 Img_8012
    Plans and materials for my first build - Page 3 Img_8014
    chilihook
    chilihook
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by chilihook Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:43 am

Some more progress. Here's a quick breakdown of what I've done since last time:

• Determined that I needed the side of the CB to be accessible for easier future removal of the trigger box
    • Drilled, placed, and glued locating pins (1/4" dowels) in the stock, foregrip, and handle prior to full stock assembly to take measurements
       without clamps holding everything in place - permanent yet not permanent positioning. Worked great
    • Drilled out the decorative "vents" along the foregrip to give it a bit of a machined/Star Wars blaster look
    • Cut out the removable side of the CB - was a little nerve wracking honestly
    • Permanently attached the stock and foregrip
    • Drilled and mounted the scope mount to the stock
    • Test fit the scope and have the scope mount ready to attach the scope mounting rail

Plans and materials for my first build - Page 3 Img_9213
    Plans and materials for my first build - Page 3 Img_9212
    Plans and materials for my first build - Page 3 Img_9214

Feels like I've gotten a lot done recently, still some big stuff left. 

• need to make a new nut, the hooks that hold the string are about 1/16" to an 1/8" too short on the one I have - just not comfortable with them like that
    • finish the safety
    • attach leather to the prod mount for cushioning
    • mount the removable side trigger cover - either bolts into inserts or wood screws into wood
    • adjust the rearward part of the table - don't need them as long as I have them right now
    • make the trigger guard
    • make the bolt keeper
    • not happy with the shoulder plate/stock... working on ideas for fixing that
    • string the prod
    • sand, round over, smooth, stain, finish
    • mount the scope
    • test
    c sitas
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by c sitas Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:39 am

I have three different ones  I've built using that same scope mount .I just get a  weaver bar and put on it. It's ready for a red dot or scope or for the matter you could use some of the clamp on iron sights. Have never had aproblem with the zero moving around, just remember , made of wood.It might not make it falling twenty feet down ,out of a hunting tree blind.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:23 am