The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» What you building?
by hullutiedemies Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:39 am

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

3 posters

'mastic' in medieval crossbow decoration - what is it?

stuckinthemud1
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

'mastic' in medieval crossbow decoration - what is it? Empty 'mastic' in medieval crossbow decoration - what is it?

Post by stuckinthemud1 Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:38 am

OK, so I am pretty much there with my current project tiller,

'mastic' in medieval crossbow decoration - what is it? 20181204_172722

I want to try this technique

'mastic' in medieval crossbow decoration - what is it? 6a5cdf9e94f4089dc24775f81480f0ba
    - impressed lines filled with 'some kind of black mastic' (Breiding, D, "the crossbow of Ulrich V").  Any ideas what the mastic was or how to replicate the finish?
    kenh
    kenh
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

'mastic' in medieval crossbow decoration - what is it? Empty Re: 'mastic' in medieval crossbow decoration - what is it?

Post by kenh Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:16 pm

Probably a tar of some sort.  Pine sap with powdered charcoal?  Naturally occurring bitumen with additives?
    stuckinthemud1
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

'mastic' in medieval crossbow decoration - what is it? Empty Re: 'mastic' in medieval crossbow decoration - what is it?

Post by stuckinthemud1 Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:47 am

I have no real experience with these products; does pine sap dry? I have only come across it indirectly when knots bleed out in construction grade timber - their resin can stay active for years.  I know the Middle East was exporting petroleum-based products during the later Medieval period so bitumen could have been possible, I guess, or maybe a varnish mixed with soot/charcoal?
    kenh
    kenh
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by kenh Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:19 am

Dried pine sap = Amber!!  Yes it can dry, but a powdered additive, like charcoal or even dust hurries the process.   The tiller of my Avatar bow is a piece of 125 year old Southern Yellow Pine that was cut down more than 50 years ago.  It has a few sap pockets that will break teeth out of a saw blade, and the sap is diffused throughout the wood making it VERY hard to cut and work.

My first though when I saw the picture was that the technique was "kolrose" carving (like scrimshaw but on wood.  However those lines are too wide and deep.  Still, the technique might apply. The grooves could be 'painted' with some sort of varnish, and then finely ground charcoal blown or poured into the wet lines and the varnish allowed to dry before being wiped clear.
    chaz
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by chaz Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:16 am

appears to be some sort of wood burning technique much like branding

Chaz
    kenh
    kenh
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by kenh Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:34 pm

It doesn't appear to be a woodburn to my old eyes.  The edges of the lines are too crisp; the points too pointy, and there's not of the 'slightly darker' color you get when the wood just outside the tool gets a bit too hot.
    stuckinthemud1
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by stuckinthemud1 Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:36 am

Its been positively identified as a filler by the foremost expert on that particular crossbow, and as Ken says, its all a bit too 'crisp' in the carving for a wood-burning.  Equally, I think that the penetration of the filler into very fine lines suggests quite a 'runny' filler as something more sticky wouldn't necessarily have the same ability to fill cuts that are little more than scratches.  Powder over varnish would tick all the boxes, particularly as there is no penetration of the pigment into surrounding wood fibres.
    kenh
    kenh
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by kenh Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:26 am

Read up on "kolrose" carving.  

Here's some kolrose I did on a replica of a 7th century Lyre.  The overall length is 34" and width is 8", The facing figures are about 5" tall, to give you an idea of the size.  You lay down a layer of plain clear "varnish" to seal the wood.  Then carve the design.  Then powdered charcoal is dusted over the whole surface and wiped away, leaving the lines dark.  A second layer of varnish seals the charcoal into the wood.

'mastic' in medieval crossbow decoration - what is it? Oberflacht%2084%20Lyre_zpsobvrdnqm
    stuckinthemud1
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by stuckinthemud1 Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:19 pm

I have used the technique in the past didn't know what it was called though, lovely work on the lyre btw. One of the guys on the PA forum suggested hide glue instead of varnish. I'm planning on using a combination of chip-carving knife and v-tool with a punch for the circles.
    kenh
    kenh
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by kenh Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:51 pm

If I were going to use a glue, I'd use fishbladder glue rather than hide glue.  Fish glue has a much longer 'wet' time than hide glue -- but still not more than a few minutes.

That kolrose is kind fun.  I bought a special shape knife to do the carving -- $12 off Etsy.  And I powder charcoal stick that I get from a local art supply shop.  

The design on the Lyre is a pair of Pictish Beasts from a Pictish Standing Stone I saw last year in Scotland.  The Picts were the Stone Age inhabitants of what is now Scotland, 'way before the Scotii arrived from Ireland.  No one knows what the Beast represents... all the other animals on all the known standing stones are readily identifiable.  But from one end of the country to the other, they always drew the Beast the same way, with that long extension from the head and the duck-bill face.  Interior lattice carving varies from Beast to Beast.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 2:43 am