The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» What you building?
by hullutiedemies Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:39 am

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

5 posters

Yew Composite prod:help needed

Edward donald
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Yew Composite prod:help needed Empty Yew Composite prod:help needed

Post by Edward donald Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:03 pm

Hi there

I am new to posting in this forum but have used it in previous builds. I am looking to build crossbow prod useing  Yew and sinew only. Horn seems too time consuming. 

I would like to follow a build I have seen by the user OrienM:

https://thearbalistguild.forumotion.com/t1655-yew-and-sinew-prod-help-needed

However i would like the draw weight to be at least 250lbs. I know this is a lot to ask without useing horn but is anyone able to give me a guess as to the dimensions for what that might be before tillering.

On a side note the design of the crossbow is very unique as it allows the crossbow to cocked in under 3 seconds with a draw weight of 400lbs and utilises this speed of draw with a magazine of bolts. The materials used were available to anyone living in the period of when crossbows were still used on the battlefield and so from a historic sense this build is very interesting. The design is relatively compact and very easy to use with minimal effort in the loading process. 

I'd very much appretiate any advice/help, and would be happy to reveal the design in a PM

Regards

Ed
    banuvatt
    Workshop Savvy

Did you see my tool collection?

Workshop SavvyDid you see my tool collection?

Yew Composite prod:help needed Empty Re: Yew Composite prod:help needed

Post by banuvatt Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:51 pm

I am rather interested in your design, I found this on Youtube regarding the dimensions of your crossbow. But I'm not sure if you want to make a d belly shaped or flat bellyed prod. https://youtu.be/bvvsE2jtm9E
    banuvatt
    Workshop Savvy

Post by banuvatt Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:04 pm

But just as a reference or something to be off of maybe try 1.75" in width in the center tapering to 3/4". Try making a prototype at first so you have a good idea of how much wood to take off the prod. I've seen this skane crossbow that was made out of red oak it was 40" nock to nock, the width in the center was 1 1/2" for 4 inches on both sides. So it was full width in total for eight inches. Then it tapered to 3/4" wide tips at the nocks, for the center eight inches it was 3/4" thick and tapering down to 1/2" thick. The draw weight of the prod was 120 lbs. I hope this helps you in anyway.
    banuvatt
    Workshop Savvy

Post by banuvatt Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:45 pm

This maybe a bit experimental but why don't you try either reducing or taking off the sap wood if you can completely then putting the sinew on? You don't need sap wood on the prod if you have a backing such as sinew. It will make it so you don't have to remove as much wood as if you left the remaining sap wood on the prod. I think it will overall leave you will a crossbow that is higher in draw weight, but not as thick or wide if you chose to leave the sap wood on to get the same draw weight.
    Edward donald
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Edward donald Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:06 pm

Hi 

Thanks for the reply

The yew I am useing is italian yew and so the growth rings are very compact. I agree that taking the sap wood off would seem like a good idea as sinew essentially replaces it. however If i made the thickness 1.75 in the middle only 15-20% of that would be sap wood as it is so tight. I quite like the look of the sap wood as well but if you think its too much of a burden then maybe just leave it off. 

Those thicknesses sound good to me. Havn't really found any guides on the internet for this yet.

You say that the example you saw was 120lbs with a 1.5 inch centre. Do you not think 1.75 inches is not going to get you up to 300lbs?

Yes, I will be making a prototype first. perhaps start with aiming for 250lbs

very happy to show you the design.

Send me a PM

thanks
    banuvatt
    Workshop Savvy

Post by banuvatt Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:23 pm

Well I think if you added the sinew it would increase the draw weight. I think the sap wood is in my opinion just excess weight, if you already have a backing. This is just a guess, I could see your point about how 1.75" might not be enough I know of flat bows that have a width of 2-2.5" so you could try that.
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:56 am

The sap wood is the springiest part of a yew bow.... don't remove it.  Just add sinew on top.
    Geezer
    stuckinthemud1
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Post by stuckinthemud1 Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:11 pm

The yew and sinew lath I have just finished is 110lb at 11" draw, it is 28" nock to nock, 1 3/4" wide at centre, the width is constant taper to the tips which are 1 1/4" wide, thickness taper is about 1/2mm per inch.  Thickness of lath at limb centre is in the region of 12mm, but the two limbs are different thickness due to one limb being stronger than the other so you would need to tiller your lath on a tillering bench to ensure an even bend (but you knew that).  Regarding sapwood, you have several options - don't bother with sinew - medieval wooden laths were not always sinewed; sinew over the sapwood and you don't need to use so much sinew as Geezer points out, the sapwood in yew does the exact same job; reduce the sapwood to nearly nothing as medieval longbow builders did and don't sinew; entirely remove the sapwood and replace with a good thick layer of sinew. All the options are valid and all have historic precedent.  Most modern bow builders would totally remove the sapwood if they were going to sinew as sinew can delaminate yew as it dries but I put a single course of sinew over my yew sapwood as I wanted to practice the technique and it held together just fine. 

If you made the lath 30" long, nock-to-nock, 2" wide at centre and 15mm thick at the centre of each limb and used 3 courses of sinew, you would be close to 300lb at 8" draw length, I should imagine
    Andrew
    OrienM
    OrienM
    Workshop Savvy

Post by OrienM Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:31 am

Not having worked with Yew wood, I don't have any intuition on ideal dimensions; my own wood/sinew prods were of Osage Orange, a much denser, stiffer wood. In my experience, a limiting factor is the force needed to steam-bend the stave into deflex; the thickest 40" long piece of yew you can still steam-bend might be a good place to start.

I cringe to contradict Geezer, who knows more about crossbows than I'll ever know...however, personally I'd want to use all yew heartwood for a sinewed prod. My understanding is the heartwood is the more compression-strong component; the tension-strong sapwood isn't really needed under sinew, and I'd worry about adding weight and potential set by including it.
    Edward donald
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Edward donald Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:37 am

Thanks for that advice on the prod.

I am going to get a feel for the dimensions by building a prototype out of a not such good bit of yew. without adding the sinew I will then tiller it until it breaks or reaches 220lbs. that hopefully will tell me how much roughly i'll need for the real thing.

I will then proceed to the better wood and add the sinew. 

Im in the workshop tomorrow so I'll keep you updated
    banuvatt
    Workshop Savvy

Post by banuvatt Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:46 am

What are you using as a wood glue? I heard of people using Titebond II or III as a glue for backing bows. Titebond III is water proof, while Titebond II is water resistant. Or are you using more traditional methods such as hide glue, or fish bladders?
    Edward donald
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Edward donald Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:49 am

hi i'm using hide glue

Heard lots of bad things about modern glues. Something about how the molecular structure isn't given enough time to form with the quick drying process of modern glues. Not an expert at all so someone i'm sure can correct me.

ed
    Edward donald
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Edward donald Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:54 am

banuvatt wrote:What are you using as a wood glue? I heard of people using Titebond II or III as a glue for backing bows. Titebond III is water proof, while Titebond II is water resistant. Or are you using more traditional methods such as hide glue, or fish bladders?

hi i'm using hide glue

Heard lots of bad things about modern glues. Something about how the molecular structure isn't given enough time to form with the quick drying process of modern glues. Not an expert at all so someone i'm sure can correct me.

ed
    banuvatt
    Workshop Savvy

Post by banuvatt Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:56 am

If you watch Clay Hayes I think he uses Titebond III. He's a bowyer if you don't know him, go on to his Youtube channel. He has done tutorials on gluing sinew as a backing if I am not mistaken.
    OrienM
    OrienM
    Workshop Savvy

Post by OrienM Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:07 am

DEFINITELY use hide glue...in my experience no other glue has quite the right qualities. Sinew and hide glue are basically the same material, collagen...they stick together extremely well, and shrink at a very similar rate. Titebond-type glues have been used successfully, but they won't shrink along with the sinew and add draw weight like hide glue does.

Knox unflavored gelatin makes an easily available, inexpensive hide glue (I like 3 parts warm water, 1 part gelatin granules...briefly simmer, and use warm)

It seems to work best to add sinew while the previous layer is still a bit damp; I usually apply sinew in a single, hours-long glue-up session, with only brief pauses to wait for the glue to jell up. Avoid touching the drying sinew with bare hands, since hand oils will impair the bond.
    Edward donald
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Edward donald Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:23 pm

stuckinthemud1 wrote:The yew and sinew lath I have just finished is 110lb at 11" draw, it is 28" nock to nock, 1 3/4" wide at centre, the width is constant taper to the tips which are 1 1/4" wide, thickness taper is about 1/2mm per inch.  Thickness of lath at limb centre is in the region of 12mm, but the two limbs are different thickness due to one limb being stronger than the other so you would need to tiller your lath on a tillering bench to ensure an even bend (but you knew that).  Regarding sapwood, you have several options - don't bother with sinew - medieval wooden laths were not always sinewed; sinew over the sapwood and you don't need to use so much sinew as Geezer points out, the sapwood in yew does the exact same job; reduce the sapwood to nearly nothing as medieval longbow builders did and don't sinew; entirely remove the sapwood and replace with a good thick layer of sinew. All the options are valid and all have historic precedent.  Most modern bow builders would totally remove the sapwood if they were going to sinew as sinew can delaminate yew as it dries but I put a single course of sinew over my yew sapwood as I wanted to practice the technique and it held together just fine. 

If you made the lath 30" long, nock-to-nock, 2" wide at centre and 15mm thick at the centre of each limb and used 3 courses of sinew, you would be close to 300lb at 8" draw length, I should imagine
    Andrew

Hi Andrew 

Thanks for this. I will give these dimensions a go on a prototype

However I would like the draw length a bit longer. If I increase the length of the prod to say 35" will that be ok to get a draw length of 11"?

regards 

Ed
    banuvatt
    Workshop Savvy

Post by banuvatt Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:45 pm

If you back it yeah it should be fine. You could go even shorter with a backing, the 1/3 rule I think really only applies to self bows. What I did with my prod is decided how much of the center would be full width. Then for the total length of the prod would be the center full width + the draw length times two.
    stuckinthemud1
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:31 pm

I did not steam any deflex unto my bow, just tillered very slowly and carefully. Bow took under 1/2 inch of set.
    stuckinthemud1
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:36 pm

My bow has a draw length of 11 inches and was tested beyond that. The bow needs enough draw length to get the sinew working and although it is mounted in a tiller drawing 8 inches, that is under stressing it and I am going to make a new tiller with the correct draw length one day. I would suggest 35inches is way too long, double draw length plus 10 per cent would be plenty, remember, power comes from width, flexibility from thickness. A wide, thin lath is very powerful and very bendy
    stuckinthemud1
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:00 pm

Oh One more thing, I appled my sinew using exactly the method Orion describes, go slow, keep calm and wait a couple of months for everything to dry fully
    banuvatt
    Workshop Savvy

Post by banuvatt Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:47 pm

I thought it took sinew backings to dry fully like six months to a year. This is according to what I had heard from bowyers who make Asiatic bows. Also I remember the topic of birch bark came up some time ago to protect sinew backings from moisture.
    Edward donald
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Edward donald Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:48 pm

stuckinthemud1 wrote:My bow has a draw length of 11 inches and was tested beyond that. The bow needs enough draw length to get the sinew working and although it is mounted in a tiller drawing 8 inches, that is under stressing it and I am going to make a new tiller with the correct draw length one day. I would suggest 35inches is way too long, double draw length plus 10 per cent would be plenty, remember, power comes from width, flexibility from thickness. A wide, thin lath is very powerful and very bendy

I'd love to see this bow. is there a thread on this website?

When you say that "double draw length plus 10 percent would be plenty" what exactly do you mean. 

I would like a slightly longer draw length to show case the movement of the cocking mechanism. Obviously if this is going to mean breakage is more likely then i will stay at 8". Was just wondering what I might be able to do to get that longer draw. I am actually not that worried about power at the moment. Its all about showing that the cocking mechanism is able to draw back a very heavy bow to a long draw length.
    banuvatt
    Workshop Savvy

Post by banuvatt Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:10 pm

So if you times 8 with 2 you get 16, then you add 10% on a calculator for your final answer you get 17.6 inches long.
    banuvatt
    Workshop Savvy

Post by banuvatt Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:16 pm

Keep the center stiff and have only the limbs bend, as I mentioned before that 120 lb red oak board was 40" long ntn. The center was eight inches long, the draw length was 14 inches long. Since 40 - 8 = 32 you then get 16 when you divide that number by two.
    Edward donald
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Edward donald Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:26 pm

Oh i see you can work out the length ntn you need depending on what length of draw you want. So if I want 12"draw length i double: 24 +10% =26" . ntn

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 2:09 am