The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» What you building?
by hullutiedemies Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:39 am

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

+8
Phil Abrahams
ccoolbow
8fingers
arbalest
Igora
Mike
Ivo
Regerald
12 posters

Pine Stock, Round Cams

Regerald
    Regerald
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Pine Stock, Round Cams - Page 2 Empty Pine Stock, Round Cams

Post by Regerald Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

A crossbow, made mainly out of garbage that i found. Stock was glued from 4 separate pieces of a pine lumber, limbs were made out of a steel leaf spring, suspension of a car. Here I'll post some pictures, but I'm sorry about quality.. Maybe I have to bye a new camera to post better pictures Smile
    Pine Stock, Round Cams - Page 2 X_2d2aa8ca
    Pine Stock, Round Cams - Page 2 X_d64b1283
    Pine Stock, Round Cams - Page 2 X_e7a6d931
    Pine Stock, Round Cams - Page 2 X_850b31b2
    Pine Stock, Round Cams - Page 2 X_03cf3842
    Pine Stock, Round Cams - Page 2 X_d78517c3
    Pine Stock, Round Cams - Page 2 X_148d1825
    Draw weight is about 130 lbs, weight is about 11lbs.. A main disadvantage of this crossbow is weight distribution. Actually, it's a common problem for all steel prodd crossbows, where bow is heavier than a stock. Hard to target it. And trigger system is a bit primitive, just a nut and trigger with a brass bearing. But in common, device works well.. I'm looking for a good place to test it at long distance, but here in the city it's a little bit difficult.
    sairaj999
    sairaj999
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Pine Stock, Round Cams - Page 2 Empty Re: Pine Stock, Round Cams

Post by sairaj999 Tue May 15, 2012 10:07 pm

ferdinand wrote:
    sairaj999 wrote:hi ... how r u im big fan of crossbows .. but how do u cut spring steel i have many in my garage and many tool but i want to ask u how to cut it in shave without losing its spring abelitiy
    Only way to cut it is a grinding/cutting disc in a anglegrinder.
    I did it and works verry well.

Nice build by the way!

thx u very much
    chaz
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Post by chaz Wed May 16, 2012 5:10 am

Regerald,

You evidently have a nice place to rummage. The build seems very well planned out and very well executed! Thanks for sharing. Did you build the trigger assembly? Did you build the sight mount?What was the source for the cams, or did you make them also? What is the length of the prod pieces? Did you use another compound crossbow as an example for the compounf assembly? The whole build is wonderful ! It would be worth the trip to the countryside to shoot the heck out of it!It appears youy must have access to quite a shop.

Chaz
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo Wed May 16, 2012 6:22 pm

Yeh, Regerald is a really cool guy. Pine Stock, Round Cams - Page 2 204712

I mentioned this before, but there is actually another crossbow forum where Regerald and I originally hail from. Very Happy

http://forum.arbalet.info/viewforum.php?f=1

If you can manage reading Russian some way (via google translate/ etc.) you can get a glimpse of what our colleagues do across the pond.

Not to steal the show here, chaz, your question stands.

I'm just mentioning another resource is all. Very Happy

Ivo
    chaz
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by chaz Thu May 17, 2012 5:43 am

Ivo,

Not a problem, however, my Russian and computer skills are both lacking. Maybe I'll figure out how to down( or up load) some pictures as I do my first build.

Chaz
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo Thu May 17, 2012 6:17 pm

If you ever need to translate anything, just hit up Google Translate.

Like so... >>>Link

And check out the Posting Pictures topic in the FAQ forum...and I can always help out if you need further assistance. Smile

Ivo
    chaz
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by chaz Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 pm

Ivo,

Thanks

Chaz
    Regerald
    Regerald
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Regerald Sun May 20, 2012 1:15 pm

chaz wrote:Regerald,

You evidently have a nice place to rummage. The build seems very well planned out and very well executed! Thanks for sharing. Did you build the trigger assembly? Did you build the sight mount?What was the source for the cams, or did you make them also? What is the length of the prod pieces? Did you use another compound crossbow as an example for the compounf assembly? The whole build is wonderful ! It would be worth the trip to the countryside to shoot the heck out of it!It appears youy must have access to quite a shop.

Chaz

Well, thanks, but it only seems to be well-planned. Many parts of a crossbow I had to remake, like the trigger mech, which at first was way too heavy. At present it looks like this:
    Pine Stock, Round Cams - Page 2 Img_4310
    Also cams were changed. The whole composition of a crossbow doesn't allow excentric cams to realize all it's potential (draw lenght is too short), so I changed it to a more primitive, but also lighter, circular "pulley".
    Pine Stock, Round Cams - Page 2 00310
    Those were made on a lathe (I don't possess one, had to "borrow") Got slight rise in velocity, and shooting sound became softer with a synthetic string (made of braided fishing line, possibly dyneema).
    Actually, polyfilament fishing line works wery well in a crossbow string, so if you have some, no need to buy any special material..

Lenght of a one limb is 33cm or something about 13 inches. Every part was made by myself, altough for pulleys and nut in trigger mech I had to borrow "heavy machinery" as lathe and miller..
    chaz
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by chaz Sun May 20, 2012 6:19 pm

Regerald,

Thanks for the response and input to your build. Your trigger assembly is very nice and most of all one can appreciate the simplicity, however it is obvious you are quite talented with the lathe and milling processes, you are really sharp. I have wondered about the possibility of the woven string( that foundation workers use when setting forms for foundations) of course looped several times and then wrapped with string to make the bow string, however polyfilament fishing line idea is worth consideration. I'm not ready to tackle the compound thing, but I'm about to start my build and intend to try my hand at every aspect and of course, like yourself, I have aquired a variety of materials . No one should hold their breath in anticipation, this is going to take a while.

Thanks again

Chaz
    sairaj999
    sairaj999
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Post by sairaj999 Sun May 20, 2012 7:47 pm

Regerald wrote:
    chaz wrote:Regerald,

Chaz

Well, thanks, but it only seems to be well-planned. Many parts of a crossbow I had to remake, like the trigger mech, which at first was way too heavy. At present it looks like this:
    Pine Stock, Round Cams - Page 2 Img_4310
    Also cams were changed. The whole composition of a crossbow doesn't allow excentric cams to realize all it's potential (draw lenght is too short), so I changed it to a more primitive, but also lighter, circular "pulley".
    Pine Stock, Round Cams - Page 2 00310
    Those were made on a lathe (I don't possess one, had to "borrow") Got slight rise in velocity, and shooting sound became softer with a synthetic string (made of braided fishing line, possibly dyneema).
    Actually, polyfilament fishing line works wery well in a crossbow string, so if you have some, no need to buy any special material..

Lenght of a one limb is 33cm or something about 13 inches. Every part was made by myself, altough for pulleys and nut in trigger mech I had to borrow "heavy machinery" as lathe and miller..
    how u cut ur prod and i want to make fiberglass prod did u use wood pls make one how to make i want to make one
    Jam
    Regerald
    Regerald
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Regerald Mon May 21, 2012 5:51 am

sairaj999 wrote:how u cut ur prod and i want to make fiberglass prod did u use wood pls make one how to make i want to make one
    Pine Stock, Round Cams - Page 2 524936
    To cut a steel prod you'll need an angle grinder with a thin cutting disk. Wery dusty and noisy work, and you also have to cool down you prod with a water constantly, otherwise it will lose it's elastic properties.

Main idea how to work with a fiberglass you'll find in this topic:
    https://thearbalistguild.forumotion.com/t12-pressing-all-fiberglass-crossbow-limbs
    I've also presented there my way of pressing fiberglass prod.
    Regerald
    Regerald
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Regerald Mon May 21, 2012 6:04 am

chaz wrote:
    I have wondered about the possibility of the woven string( that foundation workers use when setting forms for foundations) of course looped several times and then wrapped with string to make the bow string, however polyfilament fishing line idea is worth consideration. I'm not ready to tackle the compound thing, but I'm about to start my build and intend to try my hand at every aspect and of course, like yourself, I have aquired a variety of materials . No one should hold their breath in anticipation, this is going to take a while.

Thanks again

Chaz
    I would reject the idea of that string, it stretches too much. At list one that I've seen there. Of cause, it can still be used as a bastard string or temporary string for a tillering, but shooting performance wouldn't be impressive.
    I do really appreciate the simplicity, that's why I think I wont build any other compound thing in near future. Along with simplicity we usually get reliability, which for me is more important than peak performance.
    So, very good luck with your project, I'll wait to see it.

t.Regerald
    chaz
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by chaz Mon May 21, 2012 1:58 pm

Thanks for the input. Your first pictures show what appears to be wire cable, did that not workout too well for a string ?

Chaz
    Regerald
    Regerald
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Regerald Tue May 22, 2012 4:28 am

chaz wrote:Thanks for the input. Your first pictures show what appears to be wire cable, did that not workout too well for a string ?

Chaz
    Worked well for some time, but stretched in a longer period..
    ferdinand
    ferdinand
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by ferdinand Tue May 22, 2012 6:32 am

Regerald wrote:
    chaz wrote:
    I have wondered about the possibility of the woven string( that foundation workers use when setting forms for foundations) of course looped several times and then wrapped with string to make the bow string, however polyfilament fishing line idea is worth consideration. I'm not ready to tackle the compound thing, but I'm about to start my build and intend to try my hand at every aspect and of course, like yourself, I have aquired a variety of materials . No one should hold their breath in anticipation, this is going to take a while.

Thanks again

Chaz
    I would reject the idea of that string, it stretches too much. At list one that I've seen there. Of cause, it can still be used as a bastard string or temporary string for a tillering, but shooting performance wouldn't be impressive.
    I do really appreciate the simplicity, that's why I think I wont build any other compound thing in near future. Along with simplicity we usually get reliability, which for me is more important than peak performance.
    So, very good luck with your project, I'll wait to see it.

t.Regerald

I can confirm the string stretching!
    Made a string for my recurvebow using 6 strings.
    Made 2 strings of 3 swisted together and twisted those 2 together to make 1
    I believe it is called a Flemmish bow string, at least here in europe it is.
    But anyway, it did strech a lot, had to shorten it almost an inch!
    But must say now i did it is shooting nice!
    Regerald
    Regerald
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Regerald Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:27 am

How sad it seems that all the pictures from the first topic are dissappeared. Sorry, I will reload them later as soon as I found on which pc they are stored Smile
    chaz
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by chaz Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:09 am

Regerald,

The trigger and nut design has a nice configuration and seems to lend itself to a simple safety and I like the built-in stop for the nut. I'm currently working through some design ideas. Thanks for bringing the post back.

Chaz

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jul 26, 2024 6:18 pm