» aluminum prod
by Phil Abrahams Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:38 am

» First whitetail buck taken with medieval crossbow
by Phil Abrahams Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:38 am

» Airsoft Crossbow
by JacobL Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:11 pm

» Questions about steel prod specs
by JacobL Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:25 pm

» Faking a medieval composite crossbow prod.
by JacobL Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:13 pm

» Airsoft Bow
by JacobL Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:56 pm

» Hello All!
by JacobL Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:54 pm

» Padre Island Bow
by Geezer Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:14 pm

» Blocked pictures by Photobucket
by Crossbowmen Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:33 pm

» Geezer website?
by Geezer Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:01 pm

» Could I get advise on order of operations?
by Bs1110101 Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:02 am

» Renaissance Sporting crossbow
by chaz Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:22 am

» Welcome! Welcome! Welcome!
by Agniznag Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:26 pm

» The Arbalist Guild - Around the World
by Agniznag Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:56 am

» opinions please
by Geezer Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:19 pm

» Hello all!
by Tarzan65 Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:54 am

» Yet another one
by Daniel Levesque Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:37 am

» Renaissance peep sight
by kenh Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:48 am

» Chinese crossbow with auxiliary string?
by stm2010 Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:48 am

Crusader crossbow

hullutiedemies
    Workshop Savvy

Did you see my tool collection?

Workshop SavvyDid you see my tool collection?

Crusader crossbow

Post by hullutiedemies on Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:12 am

This one of my 27 or so currently ongoing undocumented projects I think might actually be worth documenting as public service.

Sort of a historical reconstruction.
    Idea is to build a simple wooden crossbow that would have been worth to bother to carry to a 12th century battlefield.
    So as minimum recuirement this has to have at least matching ballistics with a Mary Rose type longbow and preferably do better in some aspect.

Bow here pulls 60kg with 25 cm draw, the full power stroke 38 cm, that makes ca, 90kg total draw weight
    (200#/15") so energy capacity should be about same as 120-150 pound longbow

Rowan bow 55 x 35 mm middle 130 cm string, 20cm deflex, limbs are barely bend at brace height.
    I trust rowan to take 0.14 J/cm^3 , yew bow of equal power could be about 1/3 smaller.

Birch tiller
    I roughed out the tiller with chain saw, so it needs some cleaning up. Thus temporary junk rope bridling and polypropylene string.Just to test the bow and trigger before proceeding any further.

pin-lock with Lillöhus-style flexible tickler should be appropriate for period.
    OrienM
    Workshop Savvy

Re: Crusader crossbow

Post by OrienM on Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:58 am

Neat! Thanks for posting. Your builds are always interesting, I like your 'rough and ready' style. Cool

Nice simple, effective looking design...200# out of a self-bow prod is impressive. With a 15" powerstroke as well, it must really hurl a bolt!
    hullutiedemies
    Workshop Savvy

Post by hullutiedemies on Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:23 am

I shot it a few times with pp string and 50 & 150 gram bolts. I did not try to measure the speed and the cheap plastic string was a bit slow, but the lighter bolt was going decent archery speed, looked like 60+ m/s , just eyeballing the trajectory. And with the heavier one it was still easy to hit target fom 20 paces.

Linen string has been stretching a few days
    New string is less elastic. Brace height increaced slightly. And draw weight too.
    I do not have scales to test exact draw weight at full draw, but extrapolating the power curve fron 40-60kg range gives around 110 kg (240#).
    Wich I still can pull back. That gives an idea how heavy the real things could have been.

The thing is that I am close to 50 years old and never practiced any sports.
    And there are 50-60 year old women who push over 100kg at bench rest even in regional level weight lifting competitions.
    So this crossbow is suitable for an old lady.

A professional mercenary crossbowman could probably draw closer to 400#.

Bastard string is still on. Some paper wrapping on the string to allow work out without wearing it out.
    This mud shield may not be historical, but I do not like to press the bridling directly onto wet grass.
    Anatine Duo
    Techno Weeny

Lets put a laser on it!!!

Techno WeenyLets put a laser on it!!!

Post by Anatine Duo on Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:03 pm

interesting concept

Do the limb tips flex?
    hullutiedemies
    Workshop Savvy

Post by hullutiedemies on Mon May 15, 2017 2:45 am

Here is tiller profile.
    From here virtual mass can be guesstimated bit shy of 20g , so 50-60g bolt should be about optimal.
    I had a chance to take couple shots from longer distances. 70-80m seems to be point blank range for 50gram bolt.

Some terminal effect testing

Point is 6" nail. The boards are 3cm thick conifer wood.
    It did not quite go trough the bottom board.
    Onager Lovac
    Workshop Savvy

Post by Onager Lovac on Tue May 16, 2017 5:02 pm

Hey Hullutiedemies, mind if i borrow some of your pictures?, i want to post some of them on archerytalk since the guys there seem to think of crossbows as super hi tech space guns

c sitas
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Post by c sitas on Wed May 17, 2017 5:37 pm

Onager, I've hung around there for years and what you say is no lie. They also don't back up from a 2 grand price tag either. If you spent that much on a rifle ,you would stand a good chance of at least getting your investment back. Not so with the crossbow.
    Onager Lovac
    Workshop Savvy

Post by Onager Lovac on Wed May 17, 2017 6:13 pm

C Sitas you're the man :thumbs up:

White Oak
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Post by White Oak on Mon May 22, 2017 4:35 am

What a cool bow! I like the simplicity. The mud guard make sense, looks good too.

I don't know if this is the case or not but it seems to me that the only thing a reasonably handy Crusades soldier in the field might have trouble making was the string. Well, and finding good wood depending on his location.

c sitas
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by c sitas on Mon May 22, 2017 8:48 am

Hello Mr Oak.  The parts you mentioned maybe being problematic actually were not.The materials were all at hand . Rather than tell you , take a learning tour ,google is your friend here. Please come back and tell me what and where you found them.This is what this forum is all about.There are some of the most know-ed people in the real crossbow world around here. Not talking modern stuff.If , after researching ,your still at a loose, just ask . Someone will try to help .
    hullutiedemies
    Workshop Savvy

Post by hullutiedemies on Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:22 am

Applying some finish. Limestone paint needs another coat in a few weeks once the linseed oil has hardened. That red earth could be a bit redder, but that is what I got and I want to keep this all non-synthetic.

Ths is a literal crossbow bolt.

This thing could use couple nicer looking bolts for display, but I am not much of a blacksmith.
    hullutiedemies
    Workshop Savvy

Post by hullutiedemies on Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:23 am

Onager Lovac wrote:Hey Hullutiedemies, mind if i borrow some of your pictures?, i want to post some of them on archerytalk since the guys there seem to think of crossbows as super hi tech space guns

Go ahead.
    There is basically an excalibur matrix that grew on my backyard.
    String material was bought, it would have taken a week to clean enough nettle fiber for that.
    Onager Lovac
    Workshop Savvy

Post by Onager Lovac on Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:58 pm

Thanks man, sick crossbow by the way, looks about ready to storm the castle :Thumbs Up:.

White Oak
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by White Oak on Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:56 pm

c sitas wrote:Hello Mr Oak.  The parts you mentioned maybe being problematic actually were not.The materials were all at hand . Rather than tell you , take a learning tour ,google is your friend here. Please come back and tell me what and where you found them.This is what this forum is all about.There are some of the most know-ed people in the real crossbow world around here. Not talking modern stuff.If , after researching ,your still at a loose, just ask . Someone will try to help .
     I don't quite understand what you are getting at. Should I refrain from commenting unless I know exactly what I am talking about? or is it okay to engage in conversation from a place of ignorance?
     I would like to be able to converse on this forum but if I am told (this is just me making stuff up in my head mind you), if I am told to keep my mouth shut unless I've gone and researched everything I want to talk about, I won't ever have anything to talk about here.
     If you read my post you will see that I did not state anything unequivocally, as if I were certain what I was talking about.
     I have and have read most of Payne-Gallwey and have read the first two Traditional Bowyer's Bible volumes. What I lack is hands on experience, for which I am hoping to find the inspiration and support here.

I am sorry for hijacking this thread, if this is inappropriate please let me know.

c sitas
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by c sitas on Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:09 pm

Feel free to have at it my friend.  Sorry I wasn't more clear. I was trying to get you to find out how they made a string  for instance ,or how they fashioned a prod . What they made a string out of. All these things are almost unheard of in modern times. This would also play into your "hands on ".Easy enough to do , if you learn how.
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer on Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:51 pm

The question concerned medieval/early medieval bowstrings.  Every string I've ever had a chance to examine was made of waxed hemp.  Sir Ralph Payne Gallwey suggested high quality flax cord, and that will work well.  In some ancient manuscripts the bowstring is referred to as 'sinew' that might just be the generic name for 'string' or it might suggest sinew was actually used for bowstrings.  At this point, I don't know any way to tell, but hemp is certainly a strong contender.  Geezer.

c sitas
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by c sitas on Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:31 am

hey Geezer, I was reading about Veit Nam  and they were showing guys making bow strings out of some kind of plant stems ,crushing and winding the fibers.They were using them on their monkey bows. Cool how they set down and "make a functioning weapon at one setting".No doubt it would kill. During the war they made lots of booby traps like that.
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer on Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:50 pm

I've had a couple of Vietnamese crossbows in my shop: simple but effective bows for hunting small game.  Bolts fletched with some sort of palm-leaf, folded and fitted into a slotted bamboo shaft.  I can't identify the bowstring fiber, but certainly hemp grows in east Asia.  Lots of my contemporaries learned to smoke the hallucinogenic sort during the late lamentable war.  But of course there are probably other suitable long-fiber grasses that would make reasonable bowstrings.  Geezer

c sitas
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by c sitas on Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:03 am

Geezer, in this day and age with all the tech laying around, it really jars ones brain to see and learn how the world turned  yesterday,==without all the huulbalue.I guess that's why I really like the medival crossbow and mountain man era.
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer on Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:38 pm

Yes: I was very excited years ago when I found the Skane crossbow drawings in Josef Alm's 'Survey of European Crossbows." And though the Skane examples are dated no later than @ 1525, the pattern is so simple it could easily date 500 yrs. earlier.  And there was nothing in those bows that couldn't have been found by an enterprising Northlander in the hills behind his steading. 
    In particular, there was no metal at all.. and though I ended up using some metal bits on my commercial model of the Skane, that was only because customers regularly tore them to pieces out of ignorance.   They're a wonderfully simple/reliable machine. Geezer.

c sitas
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by c sitas on Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:41 pm

Geezer, back when I was in the mountain man thing, I know I read about the indians and their sinew bow strings. I even had met two different Indian woman that showed me how they were twisted. You could not possibly break them. Only thing is ,I don't recall what it took to keep them ready to go.I also remember that you would have had to train your fingers for the pain to pull their bow back. They used no guards for the fingers.The strings were very skinny.

topfmine
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by topfmine on Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:53 am

Just the type of crossbow I want to make for my next project, where did you get the measurements from. I want to make it simple if a can all from wood and string.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:11 pm