The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

4 posters

Padre Island Bow

whitebelt18
    whitebelt18
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Padre Island Bow Empty Padre Island Bow

Post by whitebelt18 Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:54 pm

Need to introduce myself, My name is Kronos I am a long standing member of the S.C.A in Denver. Been shooting Archery since I was 12, traditonal,compound,and crossbow love the sport and hope to be able to continue for years to come. I am currently trying to work on building a Padre Island Bow. But finding a working blue print has been difficult I spoke with David at New world Arbalest, but he has been unable to locate the pattern he had. So my question to the list is does anyone have a pattern or know where I might locate or purchase one.
    Thanks, Kronos
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Padre Island Bow Empty Re: Padre Island Bow

Post by Ivo Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:07 pm

Hello Kronos,

Welcome to the forum!

If I'm not mistaken, Padre island bows were only called that because they were named after a place they were found and David Watson can tell that story better since he was actually a part of the archeologist team and did the identification of these weapons , but the actual family of bows from which Padre Island bows come from is (correct me if I'm wrong here) - Spanish crossbows.

One of our members who is really into "historical" did a very nice Spanish hunting crossbow reproduction that is closely related to what you are looking for and has included a set of CAD drawings for those of us who wish to take on the task. It's right here in the Medieval Reproductions section. >>>Link

Ivo
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Padre Island Bow Empty Padre Island bows

Post by Geezer Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:59 am

Geezer here: I made up the name "Padre Island bow" because I needed a snappy title for such bows in my catalog. They're based on a pair of crossbows recovered in the 1970's from a 1554 Spanish shipwreck on Padre Island, one of those thin barrier-islands that run along the Texas coast from Galveston all the way to Mexico. Padre Island proper runs from the city of Corpus Christi to the border, and the Galleon wrecks were found near a place called the Mansfield Cut (if memory serves) They're part of the southern european tradition. There are many such bows in Spanish armories, as well as the castle at Valetta, on Malta and Italian amories as well. You could certainly call them Spanish without any fear of contradiction. The "Maximilian" bow (I coined that name as well) is based on a pair of 'Spanish' type bows that once belonged to Emperor Maximilian I, about 1490-1500. They're substantially larger and stronger than the little Padre Island model... indeed there's a lot of variation in size with Padre Island bows.
    By the way, for those who wish to know, the steel prod on the most-intact of the Padre Island bows is approx. 1 inch wide, 3/8 in thick (at the center) and only about 20 inches long (yes, the ends are intact, that's really how big it is.) I have actual measurements around here somewhere, but that's about the size of it. So the prod is really-really short. Power stroke probably around 5 inches, brace maybe 4 inches. Geezer
    jbc98k
    jbc98k
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by jbc98k Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:41 pm

Geezer what would you estimate the draw weight of the steel prod on the original Padre Island Crossbow to be?
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:06 pm

The prod was found with the Padre Island bow (and a gafa cocking lever on top) Prod was very short, @21 inches, by 1 inch by 3/8 inch.  I would say at least 350 lb.  Maybe 400 at perhaps 5.5 to 6 inches of draw. The stock was only @ 1.5 inches square at the lock.  Taller at the head, but less than an inch wide (narrower at the bottom) butt was probably 1 X 1 inch, but all they had was stock from nose to a couple of inches behind the lock (where the lockplates stopped) lockplates and cheekplates at the front were presumably iron, @ 1/16 in. thick.  Roller lock 1.1 inch diameter and 15/16 inch wide, divided into thirds for lugs and bolt-passage.  The bolt-groove was V shaped, deeper at the fore-end and played out to flat about 1 inch before the lock.  We estimated the stock would have been 28-32 inches long, based on surviving bows of similar type in various museums.  Various details, like slightly crooked rivet-holes for the lockplates and nose-ring, as well as a slight irregularity in the bone roller nut suggested the piece was more or less a factory 'second'  The museum had parts of another, nearly idental bow that was rather better made.  rivet holes almost perfectly square thru the stock, etc. But those pieces were in rather poor condition.
    Does that help?  Geezer.
    jbc98k
    jbc98k
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by jbc98k Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:59 pm

Yes sir it does, thank you very much.
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:50 pm

To clarify: string braces to about 4 inches.  Power stroke adds 5.5 to 6 inches to that. So distance from lock to belly of prod about 10 inches.  Add another 2.5 inches or so to front of stock. (the prod goes thru a square hole in the fore-end, that is reinforced with an iron wrap-around plate. See pics in my online catalog, or if you prefer, there are similar bows (if somewhat fancier) in the armory at Malta.  One day I'll look up all my measurements for the Padre Island bows and publish them online.  The bows made from this project were featured in an archaeological jounal in 1995  Geezer
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:00 pm

PS: Historical Archaeology, June 1995 published an article on the Padre Island crossbows.  Do a web search for above... primary author: Barto Arnold of Texas Historical Comission.
    jbc98k
    jbc98k
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by jbc98k Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:01 am

Email sent to you on your website
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer