The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

» need help contacting le musee Dauphinois Grenoble
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

+24
Hermit
hullutiedemies
Bojer
kenh
Doug G
Joulesbee
Gnome
stoneagebowyer
mac
chaz
cbow101
blangas
AboMickey
WtsupDawg91
8fingers
Basilisk120
ora8i
jopsa
cmgower
kiwijim
Todd the archer
Geezer
Ivo
Pavise
28 posters

Crossbow triggers

Pavise
    Pavise
    Dear Friend, You will be Greatly Missed.
    Dear Friend, You will be Greatly Missed.

Crossbow triggers - Page 3 Empty Crossbow triggers

Post by Pavise Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:52 am

First topic message reminder :

I often hear or read where folks are wanting to improve their crossbow trigger and in particular make the pull smoother and perhaps a bit lighter. And whilst understanding that the loads applied to a crossbow trigger when cocked, can be vastly more than those on a firearm trigger, there are some things that remain constant and are just as applicable to our needs. The following video from Brownell's wonderful website is most informative and provides much insight into how certain parts should operate together.

Pavise

Last edited by Ivo on Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:18 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Topic status: Sticky)
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Crossbow triggers - Page 3 Empty Re: Crossbow triggers

Post by Ivo Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:35 pm

Well for instance is the positioning of the trigger in relation to the
    release, could that maybe an ergonomic thing bringing into consideration
    the design of the stock and it's relation to all components and how
    that is held for different applications? Example different for the
    hunting x-bow vs. target competition x-bow vs. military all vs.
    historical vs. modern?

You are correct, it's all about evolution...this whole thing with triggers being set in front of/above/behind the grip is pretty much all related to the introduction of the pistol grip and the increases in draw length.

Here's the basic comparison of the above mentioned variations...a little exaggerated for the sake of example, but close enough to reality.

Crossbow triggers - Page 3 Reg_vs15
    ...don't try to pull the second trigger in the list as a legit medieval though...it's a recent variation (as far as I know Smile )

My experience tells me that for a while talk and a scratch pad are cheap compared to materials.

*Someone* has to make an investment. Smile

I've been working with some forum members on a trigger design that can be made with simple power/hand tools and materials available in most hardware stores. Well, we're 99% through the loop with the design and 90% with the construction.

Crossbow triggers - Page 3 Photo1-1

I'll have a tutorial topic with all the tool/material requirements and template downloads written up eventually, but don't let that stop you from research while that's cooking. Wink Definitely give attention to both the modern and traditional bows, there is much you can learn easier from one than the other at times, so they basically complement each other in that respect.

Good Luck,

Ivo

PS: Mac is the man when it comes to Medieval Arms & Armour...if you have or ever get the bug to go for a legit medieval bow >>> Mac is the man. Very Happy
    Basilisk120
    Basilisk120

Post by Basilisk120 Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:23 pm

Looks like Ivo seems to have covered it pretty well. It looks like it the main factor is stock shape, followed by lock design. Some stock shapes just won't allow the trigger to be in front of the lock unless you want your hand in the path of the string.

I'm not sure the second crossbow in Ivo's drawing is correct. There are medival crossbows with triggers but the trigger is always behind the lock. (Suspect waiting for someone to have an example of an exception to that)

Ivo- Glad to hear the trigger hasn't been forgotten about. Can't wait to see it in action. Let me know what help you need.
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:35 pm

Yeh, that second one is not a legit historical variation, it's something one of our friends uses on his Pistol bows.

Crossbow triggers - Page 3 Pistol10
    AboMickey wrote:
    Crossbow triggers - Page 3 Moving11

It's unique, so I thought it would be fun to throw it in the mix. Wink

Ivo- Glad to hear the trigger hasn't been forgotten about. Can't wait to see it in action. Let me know what help you need.

Haha, thanks! 3am when I get back from work so tired that even the lightest wind would tip me over and i stilled squeezed out 5-10 minutes to put in some work for that project....that's devotion man. jocolor

And I still got much much more on my mind...just need more time and of course your support guys...light the fuze we will and blast this mother when it's done. Crossbow triggers - Page 3 932938 Crossbow triggers - Page 3 524936

There will be a topic when I get a minute to sit down again...so short on time these days that it's embarrassing mates. Laughing

Ivo
    stoneagebowyer
    stoneagebowyer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Post by stoneagebowyer Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:59 am

Some excellent information here in this thread.

Where does one obtain small pistol crossbow prods? Way down the road, making one would be a nice project.

Dane
    chaz
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by chaz Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:45 am

Is there more info. as to how to incorporate a safety mechanism ? Of course my take on it is that anyone knowledgeable of crossbows would understand that they are so dangerous, they're safe.

Thanks

Chaz
    Gnome
    Gnome
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by Gnome Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:36 am

Dane, check out Blangas' thread https://thearbalistguild.forumotion.com/t486p15-first-crossbow-first-post-australia#5338 to see a nifty little steel prod, and I think Ivo posted a link to an Ebay page to buy them. I got a half dozen, plus a couple fiberglass bows that are pistol-sized. I started my first pistol build last weekend and it is a fun diversion from the "real thing-" for me it's almost like making a functional scale model of a crossbow. A couple interesting thing about this steel prod, the tips are not upswept at all, so I had to rotate the prod socket over 15 degrees. That could be a disadvantage, but an advantage would be how easy it would be to "nest" additional cut-down prods to add leaves for more potential power.
    stoneagebowyer
    stoneagebowyer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by stoneagebowyer Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:46 am

Chaz, my feelings are when someone gets complacent and then stops thinking, that is when things can get dangerous with crossbows, power tools (uggg), changing a fuse, etc.

Thanks, Gnome. I have zero time right now, but a small pistol crossbow will be a nice later in the year project. Maybe I can add a little folding bayonete I can use to blind enemies and also spread cheese on little crackers at a cocktail party, or a laser pointer so I can look for Sara Conner. And a poison well in the butt so I can then dip my bolts in it. You can't be too safe with poisoned bolts. Smile
    Gnome
    Gnome
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by Gnome Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:16 am

I was thinking of a holy water flask in the butt, and silver broadheads to dip in it. You know, just in case.
    stoneagebowyer
    stoneagebowyer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by stoneagebowyer Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:33 am

And it so happens that the crossbow is in the shape of a...cross! Are you sure you are not Peter Vincent, Vampire Slayer?
    Gnome
    Gnome
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by Gnome Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:43 am

Peter Vincent wishes he had my undead-puttin'-down skilz. Uh huh.
    stoneagebowyer
    stoneagebowyer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by stoneagebowyer Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:03 pm

But do you have the cool suitcase vampire slaying kit, complete with mirror and crusifix? Peter Vincent rules, better than Van Helsing.

Which reminds me, you occasionally see undead protection kits from the 19th century, with vials for holy water, pistol with silver bullets and so on. They were I guess sold to gullible tourist heading Transalvania way. I'd love to acquire one one day. They are better than those "mermaids" they made out of a monkey top and a fish bottom.

Dane
    chaz
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by chaz Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:29 pm

Stoneagebowyer,

Ditto on that, one must be aware of and know his workplace at all times

Chaz
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:10 pm

Is there more info. as to how to incorporate a safety mechanism ?

Yep...that would be in the Crossbow Building Resources & FAQ section. Happy hunting!

Ivo

PS: Vampire Slayers? This might be a bit of a surprise for you, but this guild is governed by a Vampire Lord. Crossbow triggers - Page 3 951629

...however, we might be able to negotiate a truth. Cool

Every project you do ... put your blood and sweat into it. Bleeding for our Art is really a small price to pay. Twisted Evil
    stoneagebowyer
    stoneagebowyer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by stoneagebowyer Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:44 pm

Thou shall not suffer a vampyr to live. My credo, and one that has never failed me. Therefore, down with this Lord of Blood Suckers. Particularly if they sparkle. Where is Blade when you need him? Though....Kate Beckinsale is one vampire I would allow to live. Smile Perhaps we can invite her here.

I do agree about bleeding, however. I've driven chisels into my hand, and other fun. Getting blood on some materials can really stain them, but mostly it comes out with a bit of steel wool.

Be careful about getting your own blood into power machinery. That is often how those ghost in the machine stories go, with that very sacrifice being what is needed for a big steam press or whatever to go on a rampage and wipe out the 2nd shift.
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:18 pm

Particularly if they sparkle. Where is Blade when you need him?

Indeed.

My crowd doesn't sparkle though ~ Reapers

...so it's best if Blade comes with some friends if we are to have a party.

Ok, enough of this madness. This is a triggers topic. scratch Laughing..still though, good stuff and we should do a topic with some creative writing, would love to read/participate in some vampire stories. Vamps are evil monsters full of pride, don't give us an easy death. Twisted Evil

Not to leave off without a contribution...here's something I've sketched out a little while back. tongue

Crossbow triggers - Page 3 Dog_le10

Couldn't get it to work properly, so any suggestions are welcome.

Ivo
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:39 pm

Got it to work, but damn it...like an idiot deleted the working file by accident. Mad Razz

This is the last glimpse I got of it...

The problem was so damn simple too. Laughing

The radius of the first link wouldn't let the roller get past a little annoying bump...

Crossbow triggers - Page 3 Dog_le12

Roll in the erector set.... Laughing Laughing Laughing I've been working on and off on the German 5X trig...what a mind wrecking experience. Crossbow triggers - Page 3 186986

Once done we might get some study models 3D printed and perhaps get a few stainless or high carbon steel sets jet cut for those brave enough to try their hand at the heavy German boys...wouldn't it be something if we had those amazing triggers made to order?

Crossbow triggers - Page 3 Pic_bm10

Ahhh...dream on Ivo, dream on. drunken drunken drunken

Ivo
    Joulesbee
    Joulesbee
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Post by Joulesbee Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:09 pm

Has anyone experimented using old insert tooling carbides for sears. They can be reworked with diamond stones and as long as they have a smooth edge, not sharp, they won't fracture. You can have crazy high loads on them, what they don't like is colliding at speed. You can get used ones by the bucket full.
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:06 am

Perhaps. Smile

A few words of wisdom though...

All things in Nature seek balance. The longer the span between the two things being balanced, the harder the path.

Personally, I don't see the need for such extremes, if you can get your hands on bits, surely you can get some tool steel for about the same...and even then, in most cases, with a bit of careful design, you can substitute it with lower grade (cheaper) material.

Not trying to kill your high, the subject of triggers is definitely fascinating, but think about it...

I started this forum with Medieval bows on the front line for one reason and one reason only - *That's where it All began.* Widely available Low to Medium Grade materials vs. demands of practical applications of Hunting and War.

Try to keep this mindset and you will reap the benefits....or at least you will make a few Engineers on here happy that you didn't give into noobish overbuilding rage. Crossbow triggers - Page 3 292120

Back to the topic of nuts and sear plugs, guys talked about this and had quite a few smart things to say...check it out: Nuts and Sear Plugs

Good to have you on the team.

Happy Hunting!

Ivo
    Joulesbee
    Joulesbee
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Joulesbee Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:05 am

Cheers Ivo,
    I just have a load of old tips I have chipped and the fact they have a fixing hole in the middle of them was just asking for a repurpose use. But yeah.... Noob fever Laughing
    Doug G
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Doug G Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:10 am

Hi all
    My name is Doug and I am very new to this as I have never shot a crossbow in my life. However I do want to build a target/competition crossbow and have found this forum very interesting and usful, obviously there is a considerable amount of experience and expertise with the people involved.
    I have an engineering background and have access to a lathe and milling machine and one of my hobbies is model making so hopefully the mechanics of manufacturing it should not be too much of a problem.
    Where I am beaten is that I know nothing about crossbows (although I am an archer using a recurve) so any guidance for a plan of a decent target/competition bow that is compliant with NFAS /GNA rules would be greatfully recieved.
    The above articles on triggers is really great and has caused me to think a lot about what I would like to use as I had been thinking about copying/adapting the mechanisime from a Compound Bow release aid. Do you think that there is any milage in this./
    Finally can I ask if there are any plans that I can get hold of that will comply with rules .
    Many thanks to those of you who do reply cheers
    kenh
    kenh
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by kenh Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:16 am

Hi Doug;

I don't know about the GNA, but the only NFAS Shooting rule that I
    can see which applies to crossbows is the
    "no more than 300 fps" arrow/bolt speed.

NFAS Style/crossbow design rules are:

• No compound prods
    • No aluminum alloy prods
    • Minimum 14" bolt length
    • Must have a "full trigger guard"
    • Must have functioning manual or automatic safety
    • Must have a bolt retainer clip
    • No cocking aid other than a foot stirrup
    • Only open sights or a fixed focus magnifying sight are permitted
    • No shooting rest other than the archer's own body
    Obviously you can't use an unguarded tickler or pin lock trigger lever, design but almost anything else goes.

Personally I think it would be fun to show up with a tech-tweaked medieval European or Asian crossbow and shoot the pants off the guys with the zillion dollar commercial bows.

Lots of ways to tech-tweak -- multi-lever locks, delrin bolt tracks, bolt materials, adjustable sights, etc. You're in fo a lot of fun!
    Bojer
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Crossbow triggers - Page 3 Empty Trigger based on JASONWEMP design

Post by Bojer Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:37 pm

Hello
    I just "finished" my trigger design for my very first proper crossbow, and i wanted to get some feedback if possible.
    The design should as the original have following features:
    Safety
    Auto reset of safety
    Anty dryfire
    Be able to take a 180 pound draw weight

Here is a picture
    Crossbow triggers - Page 3 Jason_10
    I have the original Google SketchUp file if someone wants it.

Many thanks to Jasonwemp for posting the design on youtube
    hullutiedemies
    hullutiedemies
    Workshop Savvy

Did you see my tool collection?

Workshop SavvyDid you see my tool collection?

Post by hullutiedemies Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:23 am

This was asked elsewhere
    Crossbow triggers - Page 3 Liipai10
    A quick and dirty trigger that can be attached to a spanning device.
    The frame is under tension load only , so it can be made of rope or wire..

Advantages
    +cheap & light weight construction , no need to cut holes into tiller
    +reliable
    +heavy draw weight trigger can be constructed out of all organic materials
    +consistent spanning, string can have loop to catch the tumbler hook & the trigger group can hook into the tiller from a single point

disadvantages
    - slow reload, needs to be manually rearmed
    - does not work well with a bolt clip
    - pontential inaccuracy with light weight bow, frame can move during trigger pull jerking the string
    Hermit
    Workshop Savvy

Did you see my tool collection?

Workshop SavvyDid you see my tool collection?

Post by Hermit Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:12 pm

Many years ago,when carbide tool bits were rarer than today,and more expensive,whenever we got hold of used tips,we used to smash them with a hammer,braze them onto mild steel shanks,and then grind then to shape for tipped boring bars,for use on the lathe,and in adjustable boring heads.If the brazing was done properly we never had a problem losing the tip.I think this method of attachment would also work for trigger bearing surfaces.
                                                               Hermit.
    patandjali
    patandjali
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by patandjali Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:35 am

Hello Everybady!
    We RDT crossbow ready for ...shootings  Very Happy 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbRFtO2KbjQ