The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» What you building?
by kenh Wed May 29, 2024 1:36 pm

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

3 posters

Vertical Steel Bow Medieval Crossbows

HeroSK
    Tinkerer

If there is a will, there is a way.

TinkererIf there is a will, there  is a way.

Vertical Steel Bow Medieval Crossbows Empty Vertical Steel Bow Medieval Crossbows

Post by HeroSK Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:27 am

Hi all,

While searching about mechanical artillery, I found quite interesting if not shocking information in an article by A Bruhn Hoffmeyer written in 1966.

Here; gladius.revistas.csic.es/index.php/gladius/article/viewFile/171/172‎

In Page 132, some steel bow crossbows mentioned with following sentences;

At least during the 12th and 13th centuries Chinese steel crossbows appeared, first in Russia later on in Persia and further to the West. The steel bow here was placed vertically, not horizontally as in Hellenistic or Occidental medieval crossbows.

For this information, the following sources are given;

" K. HUURI.0 C , p. 230; R. SCHNEIDERD: ie Artzllerie des Mzttelalters.
    See: A. N KIRPICHNIKOWD:i e Wurfartillerie des alten Russlands, p. 43 ff (in
    Russian).

I tried hard to reach those sources but failed. I also can't read German and Russian thus it would be great to hear what the sources are really meaning by someone could evaluate above sources.

Thanks in advance.
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Vertical Steel Bow Medieval Crossbows Empty Re: Vertical Steel Bow Medieval Crossbows

Post by Geezer Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:27 pm

My sources: Josef Alm, Wm. Paterson, and Harmuth suggest steel crossbows show up in written sources... presumably inventories, etc... in the 14th century... maybe 13th.  I've never seen reference to a non-modern crossbow with vertical prod, but can't swear nobody tried it.  I think there are obvious advantages to mounting the prod flat, but vertical Can be done.  Geezer
    HeroSK
    Tinkerer

Vertical Steel Bow Medieval Crossbows Empty Re: Vertical Steel Bow Medieval Crossbows

Post by HeroSK Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:04 am

Available crossbow books dismiss this information that is why I am so surprised when I read the article.

After some search I started to think that steel bow crossbow could be a misconception in case of China.  Some sources mentions Chinese crossbows with steel stirrups not bows. A scholar of Chinese arsenal giving following information about this.

According to my book on Chinese weapons, these are the statistics of the Shenbi Nu (Divine-armed Crossbow) or Shenbi Gong (Divine-armed Bow):

Bow span - 98cm
    Length - 140cm
    String length - 77cm
    Effective range - 150m
    Maximum range - 370-460m
    The penetrating power is such that the bolt can pierce two layers of iron lamellar even at the extreme range of 460m.

The arm of the bow is made of wood, but the arming foot-stirrup is made of steel and the crossbow mechanism of bronze. So it is not strictly speaking a steel crossbow - only a larger crossbow that is armed by stepping with one foot on a steel stirrup attached to the stock, while pulling the bow string with both arms. This was probably one of the first stirrup-armed crossbows in history, since the first depiction of a stirrup-armed crossbow is in the Wujing Zongyao, written around 1044. Before that, the crossbowman had to step on the bow arm with both feet while pulling the bow string, which could damage the bow arm and also allowed less use of leg power.

According to the "Mengxi Bitan" by Shen Kuo of the Song dynasty, the Shenbi Nu was invented between 1068 and 1077 by a man of the Xi Xia empire named Li Ding (but named as Li Hong in the Song official history). It came to the Song empire in the form of a tribute offering by the Xi Xia. The Song emperor was so impressed by the power of this crossbow that he ordered it to be manufactured by the imperial armouries as a standard weapon for the Song armies. The Jin (Jurchen) heavy cavalry, whose "Iron Pagoda" elite unit who wore two layers of iron lamellar, were said by the famous commander Wanyan Wushu to fear only two Song weapons - the pole-axe (which could be used by infantry to chop the legs of horses, as Yue Fei did), and even more than that the Shenbi Nu.

The famous Song general Han Shizhong developed an improved version called the Kedi Gong (Enemy-vanquishing Bow) in 1135, in the critical years after the fall of the Northern Song. Its maximum range increased to 553m, and it was extremely effective against Jin heavy cavalry.

It is possible to read the discussion here. http://www.chinahistoryforum.com/topic/1760-song-steel-arbalest-aka-divine-armed-crossbow/

Yet, I failed to find anything about Russian steel crossbows.
    stm2010
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Post by stm2010 Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:54 pm

Wonderful introductions. Was Shenbi Nu used vertically?If so,how the trigger and bolt being set?the Since the Bolt length was quite small (<30cm).
    HeroSK
    Tinkerer

Post by HeroSK Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:51 am

I am too, curious about those too but there are no other resource mentioning vertically placed bows over stock than A Bruhn Hoffmeyer's article. The only method to make things more clear is to take a look to sources given in the first post. If someone could achieve finding them and sharing the given information, it would be great.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jun 29, 2024 9:43 am