Obviously the design for the butt end of this tiller changed considerably from what I started with. The stick-butt seemed like a good idea, but wasn't balanced at all, visually or physically.
Routing out the lock cavities. The tickler, which I got from Alchem for my first build and ended up not using, is still in the original form.
The quarter-inch center board was cut to shape and glued to one side, and the tickler has been reformed to the geometry I wanted.
routing out grooves for the brass rails. I wanted to use lighter gauge angle to keep the weight down, but as mentioned earlier, I was keen to buy as little as possible so I stuck with what I had on hand.
The rails are screwed and epoxied into place and it's time to glue this mess together.
Exra thickness needed to added to the lock area and front to level out with the brass rails. 1/4" stock was glued on and then taken down to 1/8".
Edges rounded and shapes finalized
Lopped off most of the butt and cut the remainder into a tenon.
Chiseled out mortices in the new stock
Looks better already
Yep, I like that much better.