The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» What you building?
by hullutiedemies Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:39 am

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:36 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:44 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

+12
stoneagebowyer
jeep
Basilisk120
Vidar Halvslak
Wilhelm
Lightly
balbi
Geezer
Zmeelink
William Tell
Ivo
Mr SAM
16 posters

Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams

Mr SAM
    Mr SAM
    Crossbowyer Supreme
    Crossbowyer Supreme

Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams - Page 2 Empty Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams

Post by Mr SAM Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:30 am

First topic message reminder :

Good time of day! santa

I Want to present to you a few 16-th century crossbow photos, which adorns our forum as the first sample of medieval crossbows :flower: (It also adorns the desktop of my computer - is one of my favorite king :queen: )

Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams - Page 2 736z.th Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams - Page 2 737z.th Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams - Page 2 734z.th Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams - Page 2 73z.th Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams - Page 2 731zr.th Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams - Page 2 735zl.th Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams - Page 2 733z.th Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams - Page 2 732zi.th

Last edited by Mr SAM on Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:59 am; edited 1 time in total
    Mr SAM
    Mr SAM
    Crossbowyer Supreme
    Crossbowyer Supreme

Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams - Page 2 Empty Re: Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams

Post by Mr SAM Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:40 pm

Geezer wrote:...
    I have seen roller-nuts put in backwards in a couple of very big-name european museums... places where Somebody Oughta Know Better. Given that they can make such obvious mistakes, it's no surprise that they sometimes get date and provenance wrong.
    Sadly, these mistakes tend to propogate. A friend saw a crossbow in a small regional museum with the roller-nut in backwards. When he pointed it out to the curator, the guy referenced a crossbow in a Big Important Museum that had theirs in the same way. I've seen that one...it's wrong too. Sigh... Geezer.
    You're right, Geezer. Here's one of the crossbow from the Paris Army Museum collection:
    Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams - Page 2 Galler10
    Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams - Page 2 Cross110
    Whether it is necessary to be surprised that such error is duplicated...
    Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams - Page 2 0d7d2110 Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams - Page 2 0d7d2111
    From above on the Photo the Monument to Wilhelm Tell Altdorf, Switzerland. The sculptor was drunk,I believe.
    Mr SAM
    Mr SAM
    Crossbowyer Supreme
    Crossbowyer Supreme

Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams - Page 2 Empty Re: Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams

Post by Mr SAM Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:50 pm

William Tell wrote:... Here you might find these close ups of interest. original i6th century crossbows...
    Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams - Page 2 Origin10 Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams - Page 2 Origin11 Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams - Page 2 Origin12

Very interesting, Will! And Is it possible to see the same fragments with decorative inlay and bolts grooves?
    William Tell
    William Tell
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Fresh Blood Doesn't meanI'm new to crossbows

Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams - Page 2 Empty Medival Crossbows

Post by William Tell Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:49 pm

Ha Ha ha !! lol. !! I'll be damned! Thanks for pointing out to me the picture of William tell. Yea goes to show that most of these sculptors and curators don't know jack s--t about what they are doing Mr.SAM.
    I can assure you however that the curator of the Museum of where these crossbows are is quite learned and he owns 2 crossbows himself. So he ain't gonna stick no Nut the wrong way.
    Here you are Mr.SAM all the pics I had of these crossbows. Will post more close-ups soon. Thanks for making me laugh.
    Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams - Page 2 Origin13 Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams - Page 2 Origin14 Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams - Page 2 Origin15 Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams - Page 2 Origin16 Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams - Page 2 Origin17 Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams - Page 2 Origin18 Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams - Page 2 Origin19
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:31 am

Got you too with that backwards nut nonsense huh? Laughing

When I first saw it I was under impression that the nut simply spun through to a point that the back of the nut popped up above it's seat, but then there would be no groove in for the arrow there Suspect ....so I've thought a bit harder(I must have been drunk too)...:banme: >>>I imagined... well they must have made the nut double sided in case the teeth failed in the middle of the battle, so they would simply field strip the crossbow, flip the nut and be on their way spitting death left and right...turned out I simply underestimated our museum workers and sculptors. cyclops drunken

PS: Don't ask me what I was thinking as I don't recognize myself when I'm thinking like that and blame everything on Mr.Hide. shocked
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:47 am

Keeping the topic alive...mmmkay? Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams - Page 2 576186

Posting this picture in response to one of our members requests.

Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams - Page 2 2803113_1024x768
    Lightly
    Lightly
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams - Page 2 Empty Thank you! and, any more?!

Post by Lightly Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:11 pm

William Tell;

I am very interested in these Maltese bows, I love them and would like to start moving towards making some as closely as possible to these, they are so elegant.. one thing I REALLY need that I cannot find, is good closeups of the noses of the bows, to see the shape that they are, and from the very front, to see how keeled, or NOT keeled, they are.. Have you any like that?

And, do you know the origin or meaning of any of the inlays on the bows? By this I mean, are they sigils, or marks of a household, or religious meanings, or pure decoration?

I can point to some specific images for you. And would LOVE to see if there are good closeups that are very clear...

Any help appreciated!

Many thanks;

Lightly
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:59 pm

Got a little bit of eye candy for you guys...probably the most massive crossbow I've seen so far. Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams - Page 2 524936

Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams - Page 2 Giiiii10

I can't remember what museum it's in, have it saved in the bookmarks somewhere... study

Anyway, if anyone knows anything about these huge bows, what they were used for and how...it would definitely be great to hear.

Thanks and You're Welcome Smile

Ivo
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:26 am

The huge bow in the middle? Germans call it a Ganz-Rustung, which literally translated means 'entire' or 'whole'' spring. The field-bows flanking it are 'halb-rustung'
    The ganz-rustung is a wall-bow or siege-bow. They're stored in a castle armory, for defense of castle, city, or other permanent works.
    Siege bows might be taken into the field for attacks on somebody else's permanent works, but they're really too large for maneuver warfare or hunting. Maybe Edward the Black Prince could have had a few siege-bows in his defensive lines at Crecy.
    Geezer.
    Wilhelm
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Wilhelm Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:01 am

Geezer,

Would these bows be for firing particularly heavy projectiles, or simply improving the range of ordinary projectiles? The picture isn't entirely clear, but it looks like the quarrel rest near where the prod is mounted would require a projectile that stretched from the nut to the rest, which is quite a bit longer than any bolts I have seen.

What a monster of a bow!
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:57 am

most of the medieval bolts I have seen are about 15 inches long, but of course Bolts must be long enough to stretch from lock to rest. Of course a fully-grooved bow would handle bolts of any size, but it's possible to have bolts that are just too light-weight. In which case, the bowstring, prod, and mounting must absorb energy that doesn't go into the bolt.
    The Kunsthistorisches museum in Vienna (Austria) has some bolts that are long enough for their siege-bow. Probably about two feet in length. Interestingly enough, some of their bolts have red and blue bands (cresting) around the shaft, just ahead of the feathers, much like modern target arrows.
    Geezer
    Vidar Halvslak
    Vidar Halvslak
    Fresh Blood

Doesn't mean
    I'm new to crossbows

Post by Vidar Halvslak Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:53 am

Theese enourmous bows are called "Wall-Armbrust" and are siege-weapons in castles for natural reasons.
    They can be even larger.
    Geezer@ a "Ganz Rüstung" is a heavy crossbow with a steelprod-thickness over 15 mm in the middle. Under 15 mm is called Halb Rustüng. There is also "Viertel Rüstung" wich is small crossbows ( I don´t remember the diameter).
    Geezer
    Geezer
    Master Crossbowyer
    Master Crossbowyer

Post by Geezer Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:24 am

Geezer here: I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I have just ordered Holger Richter's monograph (@ 100 pages) on Dresden armbrustmachers (crossbow makers) It should be here in a week or two, and I hope to comment on it, once I've had a chance to digest whatever's there. If it's anything like the Hornbogen book, it should be a gold-mine.
    Basilisk120
    Basilisk120

Post by Basilisk120 Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:46 pm

http://larsdatter.com/archers.htm Contains a bunch of medieval paintings with crossbows and archery supplies.
    jeep
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Post by jeep Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:53 am

Malta palace armoury crossbow.
    For the one interested some very detailed pictures for replica.Those are beautiful and certainly very efficient. The pictures come from an exhibit we had in the Invalid museum (war museum) in Paris
    Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams - Page 2 004010
    jeep
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by jeep Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:55 am

Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams - Page 2 Bretag10
    jeep
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by jeep Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:57 am

Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams - Page 2 Bretag11
    jeep
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by jeep Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:59 am

Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams - Page 2 Bretag12
    jeep
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by jeep Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:00 pm

Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams - Page 2 Bretag13
    jeep
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by jeep Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams - Page 2 Bretag14
    jeep
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by jeep Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:04 pm

Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams - Page 2 Bretag15
    jeep
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by jeep Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:05 pm

Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams - Page 2 Bretag16
    jeep
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by jeep Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:07 pm

Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams - Page 2 Bretag17
    jeep
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by jeep Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:08 pm

Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams - Page 2 Bretag18
    jeep
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by jeep Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:09 pm

Medieval Crossbows: Photos, Drawings, Diagrams - Page 2 Bretag19
    jeep
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by jeep Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:17 pm

In complement if you need measurements look in one of the crossbow bibles : A guide to the crossbow by W.F.Paterson,page 73 every things needed to know to build this one !!!! This replica is in my waiting list...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 12:39 am