The Arbalist Guild

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crossbows - Everything about Building, Modding, and Using your Crossbow Gear

Latest topics

» [solved]Skane/Lillohus crossbow thread
by stuckinthemud1 Sat Aug 10, 2024 3:16 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines continuing experiment
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Aug 02, 2024 7:13 am

» What you building?
by hullutiedemies Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:39 am

» 12th Century Chinese Crossbow Chronographed
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:50 pm

» Crossbow Stock
by kenh Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:19 am

» Cocking - how
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:24 am

» Questions around heavy crossbow lath buildin
by stuckinthemud1 Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 am

» Arab Crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:57 am

» prod angle, and lever trigger for sale anyone?
by stuckinthemud1 Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:54 am

» flexible string
by jasper1978 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:25 am

» jens sensfelder
by jasper1978 Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:58 pm

» 400lb Windlass crossbow bolts weight and accuracy shooting high.
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:53 pm

» Codex Löffelholz crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

» Digitar prodsc
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:42 pm

» Troubleshooting
by Andy. Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:29 pm

» Wood Prods
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:47 pm

» Colletiere a Charavines crossbow
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:54 am

» Simplified Löffelhotz speedloader
by stuckinthemud1 Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:05 pm

» Fiberglass H-bows
by c sitas Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:44 am

» Bad Antler
by drawknife Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 am

» Anyone make their own bolts?
by Juniper Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:20 am

» Josef alm in English
by Juniper Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:22 am

» Qin/Han lock drawings
by kenh Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:16 pm

» stirrup dimensions?
by stuckinthemud1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

» Skane/Lillohus lockbow information needed
by stuckinthemud1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:23 am

+8
mac
Geezer
Ivo
Michael
Väinämöinen
Wilhelm
Todd the archer
stoneagebowyer
12 posters

Central European Crossbow, just starting

stoneagebowyer
    stoneagebowyer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Crossbow JunkieI live here!

Central European Crossbow, just starting - Page 3 Empty Central European Crossbow, just starting

Post by stoneagebowyer Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:31 pm

First topic message reminder :

Central European Crossbow, just starting - Page 3 Socketdrill4Central European Crossbow, just starting - Page 3 Nutbindinghole-1Central European Crossbow, just starting - Page 3 Tickler10Central European Crossbow, just starting - Page 3 Tickler5Central European Crossbow, just starting - Page 3 Tickler4

Hi, gang. Here are a few pictures of my latest project. The tiller is being constructed by laminating two 1.5" maple planks together. So far, I have the tiller profile roughly cut out, the nut socket is drilled into each side, the tickler channel is chiseled out, and the nut binding holes and tickler pivot pin hole is drilled. Next step is to laminate the tiller and begin shaping.

I don't expect this project to take nearly as long as the first crossbow I built. I am expecting this to be in shooting form by early, early spring, if not sooner. Maple is one of my favorite hardwoods, and I expect this tiller with all the nice curves of a Central European bow to be easy on the eye. I have a 190# prod set aside for this weapon.

More photos soon enough. Comments are welcome.
    Tinker
    Tinker
    Techno Weeny Supreme
    Techno Weeny Supreme

Central European Crossbow, just starting - Page 3 Empty Re: Central European Crossbow, just starting

Post by Tinker Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:01 am

"I wish you luck!" Rolling Eyes
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Central European Crossbow, just starting - Page 3 Empty Re: Central European Crossbow, just starting

Post by Ivo Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:46 am

His build, his choices. Don't take it to heart Tinker.Wink

Plus stoneagebowyer is trying to keep it as period as possible - at least for most part. So natural way is the most logical at this point.

Ivo
    stoneagebowyer
    stoneagebowyer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by stoneagebowyer Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:59 pm

Tinker, I really value your input, and thank you. That this I don't think will work for me doesn't mean it isn't something for future crossbows. And Ivo is right, I am attempting to keep things "old school" for the most part. This of course is not an authentic repro of a medieval weapon, but the spirit I hope is there.
    Dane
    stoneagebowyer
    stoneagebowyer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by stoneagebowyer Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:19 am

Central European Crossbow, just starting - Page 3 Kyudo1712Central European Crossbow, just starting - Page 3 Boneedging0042

Well, the bone dust and white glue trick is pretty decent. It was easy to do. I just mixed standard Elmers white glue with bone dust using a toothpick, got it to be a kind of thick paste consistency, and pressed it in with another toothpick and my fingers. While not prefect, I doubt the messed up areas will be very or at all noticible. I till need to do some more work on these areas, but I feel much better about things now.

Dane
    stoneagebowyer
    stoneagebowyer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by stoneagebowyer Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:24 am

Central European Crossbow, just starting - Page 3 Kyudo1662Central European Crossbow, just starting - Page 3 Kyudo1672Central European Crossbow, just starting - Page 3 Kyudo1682Central European Crossbow, just starting - Page 3 Kyudo1732Central European Crossbow, just starting - Page 3 Kyudo1782

Central European Crossbow, just starting - Page 3 Kyudo1792

Yesterday and this morning, I worked on the rolling nut. All straightforward, careful but relaxing work. More to do, and the next step is to drill in the hole for the threaded rod sear component. I still need to drill in the binding hole, as well, but will do that before I epoxy in the sear rod.

Dane
    stoneagebowyer
    stoneagebowyer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by stoneagebowyer Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:49 am

Central European Crossbow, just starting - Page 3 Nailing0102Central European Crossbow, just starting - Page 3 Nailing0142Central European Crossbow, just starting - Page 3 Nailing0222Central European Crossbow, just starting - Page 3 Nailing0262Central European Crossbow, just starting - Page 3 Nailing0272Central European Crossbow, just starting - Page 3 Newnut0072Central European Crossbow, just starting - Page 3 Newnut0122Central European Crossbow, just starting - Page 3 Newnut0172Central European Crossbow, just starting - Page 3 Newnut0182Central European Crossbow, just starting - Page 3 Newnut0192

I am now down one nut, but up one bone covered tiller Smile

The nailing procedure went without major incident. After doing a lot of sanding and filing and sanding and filing, I was satisfied that it was time to drill holes for and insert the little brass nails. I pre-drilled holes using a 1/16" bit in a drill press, spread some "super glue" on each nail, then tapped each one home.

The sear rod tapping process didnt go so well, however. No problem drilling the 5/16" hole for the 3/8" threaded rod, in this case a Grade 8 hex bolt. I started the tap at a slight angle, however, so by the time I made it to the other side of the nut, it was pretty much game over for the poor little rolling nut.

Luckily, I had extra nut blanks, chose the nicest one, and got out the little 4x10 lathe, faced the nut, polished, and so on. I am actually more pleased with this one, and decided to drill and tap the threaded rod hole before I did more work chiseling the bolt notch in the nut. Later today, I will most likely be making the sear notch and epoxying in the rod. More work has to be done polishing the tickler, but I feel like although not on the home stretch, at least rounding 2nd base and heading toward 3rd. Go LA Dodgers! I can at least pretty confidently say that the weapon will be done sometime in February.

Dane
    Ivo
    Ivo
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ivo Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:57 pm

Moving up very well there stoneagebowyer! Lots of nice detail in this build, especially I thank you for sharing the not-so-successful attempts...a path carved by the hands of today's builder for the future builder's success (and money saved on headache remedies)...two birds, one stone. Smile

So did the bone/glue mix do the trick? You said it kinda did, but on the pictures I couldn't find anything. I did still see epoxy showing through...was that before or after you tried the bone dust stuff?

Ivo
    stoneagebowyer
    stoneagebowyer
    Crossbow Junkie

I live here!

Post by stoneagebowyer Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:56 am

Thanks, Ivo. My pleasure sharing the disasters and mistakes as well as the good stuff. That is how we learn, or at least I learn Smile And it is nice to see others are having what may be the same issues as you on a given project.

The glue / bone mixture did do the trick. Not perfectly, and it doesnt come out will in the photos, so it is not easy to see, but when it all comes together, the gaps will be something probably you can only see if you know exactly where to look and carefully at that. It could have been much worse, wont I think detract from the overall weapon, and so I consider it a small and easy lesson to have learned. I am still concerened about how it will affect the finish (tung oil), but will come to that bridge when I come to it.

Dane

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Oct 17, 2024 10:54 pm